Paper Interiors

Started by bparrish, February 15, 2020, 01:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

The light bulbs arrived today from Miniatronics.  Their shipping times are great.

So here is the building located but not quite planted.  Three views of the interior and the street clutter.

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

jerryrbeach

Bob,

Great thread and beautiful modeling!
Jerry

bparrish

OK.... here is the last punishment you will need to take on this thread.  I got the last of the store fronts done today.  This is in a Walther's cornerstone merchant's row structure.   The backgrounds are paper prints with a few plastic castings from really old Model Power structures  that I acquired in some distant lifetime.

With this you will also get a hint of my pursuit of local history

Below is Metzger's Meats.  This was a real company in Boise in the early 20th Century.

Next is Moon's Cafe.......... which still exists but under different management.  I knew Ted Moon in the 1980's when he ran the place and was the grandson of the founder.

Then there is McLeod and Geigel Clothing and Tailors.  The mannequins in the window are figures that I cut off the heads and arms and legs to get just the clothing part.  Disclaimer....... no real persons were hurt in the creation of this store front ! ! !

Next is Baldo's Barber shop that was in the Hyde Park district of Boise and just closed recently with the death of Baldo.  He was a Basque gent who was a local icon.

The last is A.W. Scheibe Produce Company.  This is the only business that is not prototypical on the railroad.  This is the company that my grandfather ran in Chicago in the 20's and 30's.  He went to work for Alfred Scheibe in 1896 as a newly arrived immigrant from Greece.  In the 20's he acquired the business and because of reputation and concern for the founder.........never changed the name.  He lost the company due to repercussions of the depression in 1935 but then worked another twenty years for the take over company who also never changed the name.  I traveled to this store front on west Randolph Street for many years as a young person.  847 West Randolph Street in Chicago.  The store front is now a coffee shop.

Jerry

Very nice display of models.  You seem to do very interesting models.

Great job Bob.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

sdrees

Very nice Bob.  Some new ideas to try.  This is what the forum is all about.
Steve Drees
SP RR

bparrish

Thank you ... all...

see ya
Bob

Janbouli

Love to see all those interiors, Not going to do many in N-scale , but your work encourages me to do interiors in H0.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Zephyrus52246

Nice work on the interiors.  Really make a difference. 

Jeff

S&S RR

Really nice work Bob.  The interiors really make the scene come to life. I was at the Henry Ford Museum last week and took some pictures of their gas station, general store, and a few other, displays, that I think might work for your technique.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

bparrish

I got asked to do a clinic on making them up at the division meet next month.

They really  are easy.  It takes longer to convert clear plastic windows to glass than the actual interior.

see ya
Bob

bparrish

So here is the latest structure with a paper and small casting interior.

Darryl............  I didn't  knock off your building.  This is amazing....... I did this in February with left over Tichy doors and windows left from the Oakley Street project of two years ago.  It sat on my bench for two months while I did some serious track maintenance.  I had a bunch of derailments in the trolley district.  Heat expansion stuff.   Great minds must really think alike.  Karl really did do a cool job on your prototype.

The name comes from a real company in Nampa Idaho that is a fourth generation family operation.   They are still out there doing some really trick engine rebuilding; both racing stuff and vintage engines where the babbit bearings are cast right into the engine block and connecting rods.  There are only a few places in the country where they still do this sort of stuff.   They have invited me at various times to be there when they make the casting pours.  It's like going back a hundred years and watching how they did this stuff.

The vehicles are all Jordan kits that I built up in January.

see ya
Bob

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Beautiful work on all the structures Bob..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Rail and Tie

Great job Bob!  The interiors look grand.  Great job on the building as well! Great minds think alike. Apparently CCK thought so too. Raymo mentioned that he did a kit a while back.  I as well did not mean  to copy anyone, just loved the look and feel of the original! Great color scheme!!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

bparrish

So here are better close ups of the interiors
What makes this all work is that is that there is no depth perception once you go through the glass.  Larger scales may not do this so well...

see ya
Bob