KCs workshop Bonney Wrenches, 2020 build Challenge

Started by ACL1504, February 21, 2020, 06:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

One thing I do, I've mentioned this in past builds, is to keep the door and window blanks. If you are scratch building or plan to, these are great to assist you in door and window locations. I also use them as templates for outlining and then cutting the openings on a scratch build.

I keep them in a small plastic box, er, in this case a small Dixie cup until I find the small plastic box.

More tomorrow afternoon.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 22, 2020, 04:55:47 PMThis bit of information comes to you free of charge as I speak from experience in breaking narrow wall sections.

Very good tip. I've lost track of the number of narrow strips I have broken off. 
--Opa George

jerryrbeach

Tom,

Somehow I missed the tip to keep the window blanks in your previous threads.  Got it this time, yet another great idea I'll be able to use. 
Jerry

ACL1504

Quote from: Opa George on February 23, 2020, 06:18:39 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on February 22, 2020, 04:55:47 PMThis bit of information comes to you free of charge as I speak from experience in breaking narrow wall sections.

Very good tip. I've lost track of the number of narrow strips I have broken off. 
--Opa George

George,

Thank you, I've repaired my share of broken wall sections over the years.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 23, 2020, 07:59:27 AM

Tom,

Somehow I missed the tip to keep the window blanks in your previous threads.  Got it this time, yet another great idea I'll be able to use.

Jerry,

I haven't mentioned it in all my build threads, senior moments and all that. 8) Since I couldn't find my plastic box, I mentioned it here. I find the blanks really come in handy when cutting in new door or window openings.

Tom ;D 
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Since my last post, I've gone in a totally different direction with this kit. Actually, I'm not going to build KC's kit but I will scratch build one to fit my space and suit my need.

This is a very nice kit and perhaps I'll be able to build and use it else where on the layout. However, as mentioned, going to do something different.

I want to have a scrap yard with an old two story structure on the property. I remember back in 1963 I was at an old scrap/auto salvage yard scrounging around for parts for my 1947 Ford flat head 8 sedan. Just inside the gate was a white two story building. The lower portion had a bay on each end to cut and removed parts on cars. The other end was more like a garage but really didn't do repairs.

Between the two bays was a small single office with a screen door. Off the office door was a set of stairs to the second floor. The second story served as an apartment/living quarters for the owner and his wife.

The building was all white with gray asphalt shingles. I'm not sure they ever cleaned any of the windows.

For my bottom portion I've lengthened KC's by 22 HO scale feet for a total length of 73 scale feet.

For the second story I kept the same length as the kit at 51 HO scale feet.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Tomorrow I'll decide where I want the bays, doors and windows.

Here is a look a KC's walls and my scratch walls on the lower portion of the photo.

Here is where the junk and scrap yard will be located. Seems like I already have junk there.

I'll scratch build a chain link fence around the area which will include the track.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looks like your off to a good start. This is one of my favorite F&SM buildings.

Karl

Karl

Opa George

SCRAP YARD!  I love scrap yards.  Glad I got an early front row seat for this one.
--Opa George

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on March 01, 2020, 11:15:34 AM
Hey Tom:

Looks like your off to a good start. This is one of my favorite F&SM buildings.

Karl

Karl

Karl,

This is a nice kit and even better kit bash. I appreciate you following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Opa George on March 01, 2020, 12:45:03 PM
SCRAP YARD!  I love scrap yards.  Glad I got an early front row seat for this one.
--Opa George

George,

As I progress with the build I think you'll really like what I have planned. Happy to have you in the front row.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This afternoon I spent time getting the front wall doors and window cut in.

I forgot to mention earlier that the second floor walls are as high as the first floor. I plan to cut these down after I determine how I want the second floor to look.

I cut in the two bay doors equal distance from each end leaving a good amount of space in between.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Notice in the photo below the two bay doors are hanging over the bottom portion of the wall? This structure will be in a junk yard with mostly dirt. I'm using a 6 X 6 post as a base so I have something I can work around with scenery.

When the 6 X 6 is placed next to the bottom of the wall, it all fits flush.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm using a 4 X 4 between the two wall sections.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

For the next step, I need to walls to be flat and square. I used a few weights to hold it all in place.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com