FSM #145 Coal Tower

Started by Opa George, June 27, 2020, 06:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulS

Very nice George, and a great start on the coal tower !!
Thanks for sharing your build,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Opa George

Thank you, John, and thank you, Paul!  Happy to do it, of course.

I got time to work on the remaining three walls today. First up the "rear" wall, which begins with overlaying the rear tower wall onto the main rear wall.  Slightly unusual.  The big trick is to line it up correctly, which means checking the plans carefully.

Then the more traditional framework built over the plans.  This is the same method I used for the front wall.  It went quicker as I already knew what parts were needed, and where.

And putting the framework over the scribed walls, adding castings and supports.  The coal chute castings are only holding a place to determine the correct placement of the framing.

Building the first side wall went so quickly and easily that I forgot to take a progress shot.  Just be careful to line everything up straight!

Getting the tower wall overlayed correctly to the side wall took some care.  I checked multiple times against the plan.  I think it's ok!

Here are the four walls, nearly ready to put together. I still need to put the window casting into the second side wall.  I also added some grime and dirt to the other walls. 

More tomorrow if I'm not too tired from my first day back in the office!
--Opa George

vinceg

Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

sdrees

This is looking good George
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

You are doing a great job George. There is a lot of checking it twice required getting things lined up where they need to be.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, George.

Cheers, Mark.

engine909

Well done George. Are you using chalk paint? If so whose please? I use Annie Sloan.
Thank you
ed

Opa George

Quote from: engine909 on July 01, 2020, 03:57:06 PM
Well done George. Are you using chalk paint? If so whose please? I use Annie Sloan.
Thank you
ed

Thanks, Ed.  I do use Folk Art brand chalk paint, and also have "Fawn" color from Waverly brand.  Although the one in the pic is functioning only as a handy weight.  I like them for concrete and rock work.  Nice matte finish.
--Opa George

Opa George

Thanks for checking in Mark, John, Steve, Vince and Curt.  I had a little time this evening and managed to get the four walls up.

I began by attaching and squaring up the two "tower" walls, as the common joint was the longest. While they should have matched up exactly, I found one was about 1/32 taller.  Possibly too much glue in one of the joints?  So I split the difference, which allowed the scribed wood pattern on the adjoining walls to almost nearly match--you have to really look hard to see a slight mismatch on either side of the corner post.

After that first joint was set, I added in the front wall and squared it up with the last side wall.  Below are two pics showing the assembly drying.

and the other side.

--Opa George

vinceg

You're flying through it, George. As usual. Looks great. Also as usual.

I like those plastic jubers. Are those from Micromark? Seems like the light weight lets you use them in applications where others would just fall or squish the model or both.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Jerry

That is really coming together quickly.  Beautiful work George.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Opa George

Quote from: vinceg on July 02, 2020, 07:49:38 AM
You're flying through it, George. As usual. Looks great. Also as usual.

I like those plastic jubers. Are those from Micromark? Seems like the light weight lets you use them in applications where others would just fall or squish the model or both.

HI Vince,
Thanks for the support and following along.  The clamps are made by Excel and they are really useful in delicate modeling.  They can hold a 90 degree corner, or even clamp a triangular construction. I got them on eBay, but they are available all over.
--Opa George

Opa George

Quote from: Jerry on July 02, 2020, 08:39:05 AM
That is really coming together quickly.  Beautiful work George.

Jerry

Thanks very much, Jerry.  I'm really enjoying this kit.  It looks complex and complicated, but George's instructions and templates make it relatively easy, given just a little craftsman kit experience. With holiday preparations next few days, work may slow down, though.
--Opa George

hairball

This is one of 3 fsm kits I never built but owned them.  Also the 165 rock bunker I never built and #30 signal tower.

Reading the story and viewing the pictures makes me wish I would have built it.  Now working in O scale this would be a scratch build and be a mini monster.  it would be impressive to look at , as will this when finished.

mike lynch---------------------HAIRBALL