Riverbend Chapel by FOS

Started by ACL1504, September 06, 2020, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Tom, I'm enjoying your build. I really like your solution to the light leaks around the windows, I'll have to remember that trick.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

That is looking just beautiful so far.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on September 17, 2020, 07:08:06 PM
Nice really like that white finish.

Your doing a really bang up job on this one Tom.

Jerry

Jerry,

Hard to believe it's been almost a month since I was here last. Thank you for the compliment on the white wash finish. I'll have more on this build later this afternoon.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: nycjeff on September 18, 2020, 12:01:46 AM
Tom, I'm enjoying your build. I really like your solution to the light leaks around the windows, I'll have to remember that trick.   Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you, very much appreciate the feedback on the windows. Glad you are enjoying the build. I'm back on it now and will finish this one prior to moving to another kit in the stash.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on September 18, 2020, 11:19:32 AM
Hey Tom:

That is looking just beautiful so far.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you very much kind sir.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I've decided to light the church. More on that later in the build. Also, I decided to add more windows to the right side where the attached portion of the church was supposed to be. I'm after a small southern town church look. So the church would also have stained glass windows on both sides.

Unfortunately, I didn't decide to light the church until after the windows and window frames were already glued and painted on the left wall. I could have used the other side wall as a pattern for the right wall. This made it more difficult to draw and cut out the new window openings.

I'll fast forward here a bit as well and just state that the new window openings were cut and the exterior wall side was lightly stained with Hunterline Light Gray A&I.

The cut marks around the window openings won't show once the exterior window frames are added.

I reached out to Doug Fosscale and he is sending me more laser cut window mullions and exterior frames for my kit bash. The manufacturers are great at helping us with extra parts. Thank you Doug!

Wall bracing was added to the interior side.

NOTE: No window opening on the left side of the wall as this is where the church steeple goes.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The new wall is ready to be painted. However, I'll need to wait until the new window parts arrive and the wall and window frames will be painted at that time.

I also decided to build a small structure from the parts not used on the right side of the main church.

I cut a new gabled end and braced it as I did the others. This gabled end will have no windows as it will face the rear of the layout.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then stained these walls with the Light Gray A&I from Hunterline.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Once the A&I was dry, I used my Floquil Reefer White wash and stained the walls.

I like this method better than the sponge method. To me the sponge method can very easily be over done. The walls look unnatural and blotchy from the sponge painting. The weathering effect models are after just doesn't work for me. The sponge leaves big globs of paint on the clapboard edges and doesn't look consistent.

My 2 cents worth on that subject.

I like the walls to be faded and weathered consistently with some paint flakes under the edge of the clapboards.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Lastly for the day, I reversed my procedure for the windows and door. I painted them with full strength Floquil Reefer White and will still wet, dipped them into the Light Gray A&I. I set them on a paper towel to dry.

Tomorrow I'll start adding the stained glass to the church windows.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Looks great Tom. It's great to see you working on the build and layout again.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 13, 2020, 06:27:14 PM
Looks great Tom. It's great to see you working on the build and layout again.

Curt,

Thank you, good to be back at it. I did move a great deal of Jim's stuff but much more is left. I'll work on that next year.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Shaping up Tom.....looks like you're moving at "Greg Speed" with this build.....wish I could get my posterior moving on mine.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Greg,

It seems to me with age, I loose interest more often than I did 40 years ago. This is why I have a tendency to go from one project to the other while working on the layout. IE, brass, structures, layout and scenery, repairing freight cars, reading and so on and then repeat! 8)   Oh yea, throw in estates of deceased friends into the mix. :'(

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

Looking good Tom.

Can't wait to see this beauty with lights.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln