PRR Bellevue Sub Build

Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

S&S RR

Curt

I love seeing a new layout getting started.  I will be following your progress.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Nice work, Curt.

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Karl, John (Cuse), John (S&S RR), and Mark for your kind words and following along.

Today I finished up the second module and connected it to the first. A potential future issue with the feet is the bottom plastic disc. It slides very easily on the vinyl plank floor that's in the train room. I'm hoping that with everything together and the plywood attached that the weight will be enough to stop that. If not I see some thin rubber in my future. On a positive note as far as I'm concerned the feet paid for themselves today with the ease of adjustment.

Tomorrow first thing is a trip to Lowes for the wood and hardware for the next 3 modules. As you look at the picture of the 2 modules the next 3 will be on the right side and complete that "arm" of the layout bench work.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Imagine what you could get done if it stopped quit with all the rain.....I see by that Tom has had an effect on you with the photos of the level.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PainTrain

Congrats on breaking ground on the build

ACL1504

Looks great Curt,

Being on the level is a great way to do anything. Just saying.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Thank you Greg, Pain Train, and Tom.

Greg- I have been cutting the wood outside and taking it inside to put together and I will continue that because the heat and humidity just drains my energy.

Tom- I'm being very careful about being level. On my first layout at the beginning I built 4 large tables and bolted them together without making them all level which caused me significant issues for quite a while. I was on my own and just starting out then.

Today I went to Lowes to get the lumber for the 3 next modules, and after getting home I discovered That I had bought 1x3x8's instead of 1x4x8's. So back to the store, get a refund then get the right boards of which they had a crappy selection. Needless to say by the time everything was unloaded I was over it. Tomorrow I plan on painting bracing until I run out of paint.

Curt Webb

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Today I built and installed the 3rd module. It's a short one (5 ft.) so it only has one set of legs. When you look at the picture it looks like the front right corner is drooping but it's not. You can also see that I have started moving boxes under the completed sections to facilitate access to the walls. Tomorrow I'll be working on the next 6' section.
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

Moving right along. I enjoyed building bench work as much as the rest of the layout.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Thanks Tom for following along.

Today I finished the 4th module. It takes me about 4 hours to do a rectangle module. Tomorrow I'll start the end module on the right side which later will have a mainline loop around and a loop around reverse loop. It's the first one with different than 90 degree joints in 2 locations.

Curt Webb

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

WOW!!!! `It's really coming along nicely. Can't wait for track & scenery. Especially buildings.

Karl

Jerry

Great job on the framing.  Looking forward to the next stages of the build.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

I love your work table. Looks like it came right out of the living room.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Karl and Jerry.

Karl- My wife would shoot me :o. It's actually a heavy duty folding table that we keep in the garage that only comes out for large family get togethers (kids table). I put a old sheet on top of it. It's too hot and humid this time of year to put the modules together outside.

Today half the day was spent chauffeuring the wife around and this afternoon I got the basic module framework put together. It's orientated in the picture the way it will attach.
Curt Webb