Just wondering...

Started by JimF, July 07, 2017, 07:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimF

Per my post under dioramas, one kit I bought was the Metzger Building, from FOS Scale Models.

Why, if it is still available from Doug, direct, at $189.95, would anyone consider buying it for $340.00 (Buy It Now), plus $13.95 shipping? Or even consider it with a opening bid of $259.95.

I realize kits no longer available will get premium prices, but a little searching should be done, before paying said premium.

Another seller, a couple of weeks ago, had the Pressman Radio Repai shop kit listed, for $125.00. Doug still has it listed as in stock for it's $64.95 price.

Just have to wonder about folks, sometimes.

Jim F

ReadingBob

I ask myself the same questions when I see stuff like that Jim.  You're right, a little research is in order and could save folks some $.

Personally, if the kit is still available from the manufacturer I wouldn't consider buying it from someone other than the manufacturer unless it was being offered at a deeply discounted rate.     
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

rpdylan

Bar Mills has some re-releases on their website--- I love this idea because it helps the humble modeler who wants to build a kit from a long time ago but doesn't want to get soaked on Ebay! (I built Smidgens' Rifle years ago- it is an awesome kit and it is available again at Bar Mills!)
Bob C.

S&S RR

It's called buyer beware.  Reasonable pricing on eBay has become very scarce. The best way to pick up out of production kits is at the shows. 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tct855

Dear Mr. Confused Buyers,

I read words like "Reasonable Pricing" and "a little research" and "discounted rate" and "available direct" when surfing e-bay.  I'll tell you a story then:  Jimmy D. can back me up here on this.

Many years ago I attended a Marlboro Hub show with George Sellios.  This show was a favorite one to attend for him back then with all the local diorama's and running club layout setups.  George had about 10 kits left to sell, (i forget the kit, but Jimmy would know). The price then was $260.00 I think, "a Reasonable Price" right?  ;)

Funny thing, only 2 kits sold that day! (even with a "discounted rate"  :() right?  Even funnier, was Jimmy's table was right next to ours.  He was selling his kits just fine.  About half way through the day, Jimmy handed me a piece of paper he'd printed out in the morning before coming to the show.

On it, was a snapshot e-bay listing (jimmy's of course).  He was selling one of several early kit's that he bought from George when first available (yes the same kit "still available direct" from George himself  8)).

The listing still had 14 hours to go to end and the price was already at $435.00 in a bidding war! (Go Jimmy, Go!) I figured Jimmy needed a new pair of shoes! right? So what about all that talk of "a little research" :-\?

folks:
       I figure nothing in life applies- when e-bay is involved ???. right?  To sum up this modeling dissertation. Read these words: "Supply n Demand"?, "Caveat emptor"?, "Right Place, Right Time"?.  To me, I say!  Crazy is the shopper who goes to e-bay (a highest bid- wins site) when looking for "a bargain". 

Before the internet, everything was rare or hard to find. Right? "Buy it when you see it" Right? :-X While the world is still the same, only how we interact within it has changed. Same is true with:(oxymoron) the hobby is changing, only we are still the same! :-*

Everyone does their best, based on what they know at the time.  Nobody wants to pay more for something when it's available cheaper someplace else. (otherwise, why buy a hot rod car at a auction for 6 figures, when you can buy a fixer upper in a barn cheaper and customize it your way for less?"  The trick is: Where's the barn? Now you know the rest of the story!

Have a good day!  :)  Thanx Thom...

GPdemayo

Paying way over market value for a kit might be a way some people keep score because they equate value with price.....but I think like ole' whats his name said about one "being born every minute."  ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Economists tell you 'the value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it.'

But who trusts economists?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

JimF

Ok, I guess I'm a little slow, 'cuz I'm not getting Tom's point to his post, at all. But that's just me.

My take is sort of what Dave said, except the value of something is what 'I' am willing to pay for it, not others. It would first of all, have to be a kit that I definitely wanted to build, not buy to go on a shelf, as a maybe.

Example, I would love to get the FOS Ludlow Building kit. As it is no longer available, I'd probably be willing to pay $100. over the original price. But not more than that, so that's what it's value to me is.

And there still are decent deals to be found, once in a while, on ebay. The trick is knowing what to search for, and weeding out the sales from dealers, and look for folks just parting with personal items. I bought 2 Bar Mills kits several months ago, for about the price of one of them, from a guy moving up to O scale. rare, but it does happen.

Jim F

ACL1504

Didn't we have a thread titled "Ebay Crazies"?

This sure fits the bill.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

patriciak8666

Hi,

I had to respond as the first post in this thread is about my listing for the FOS Scale Metzger Building (and probably issues with some of my other eBay FOS Scale listings).

Listen, I totally understand why fellow modelers would be disenchanted or disgusted with some of my eBay listings and my asking price(s).  Another modeler who has purchased from me before on eBay brought up the exact same issue just yesterday.  Below is his note to me and my response for doing this (it should explain a lot):

eBay member who sent me a note:

QuoteI assume you know all of the FOS Scale kits you have listed are available for way less, directly on Doug Foscale's site.

My response to that eBay member:

QuoteYeah, I know.  And I apologize to you (and all modelers) but I'm kind of caught between a rock and hard place right now as I am dealing with significant medical bills.  I don't like doing this but, for now, I have to.  If they don't sell within the next month or so, I plan on selling them to a fellow modeler.  He said he would pay me the going rate if it came to that (without having to deal with all the various eBay/PayPal fees, etc).

I know you've purchased from me in the past and I truly appreciate it.  I hope you don't hold this against me.

Again, I apologize as I don't like doing this.

Talk to you later....

So that's it and that's the truth.  Believe me, I would love to keep these kits that I'm selling.  But my priority is my family and paying my exorbitant medical bills.  I hope some of you can understand where I'm coming from and, as expressed to that fellow modeler on eBay, I apologize to the other modelers out there who think I'm just trying to rip them off.  That's not my intention.

Thanks for your time.

ACL1504

Patrick,

I have no problem with you listing anything at any price. If you can sell a $150.00 currently available kit for $500.00, then I say good for you. That is capitalism at it's best and I'm with you.

The Ebay crazies are the ones doing the bidding.

I once sold an OOP Kadee car for $175.00 when the week prior I got no bids, yet the second one only sold for $34.00. You just gotta love a bidding war when we are the sellers.

I've seen your listing in the past and if you get the prices asked then I say good for you.

Good luck with all your sales.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tct855

Jim,
       Not sure if I'm the "Tom" you were referring too? If so, all I was saying is before the internet when one wanted something, one would have to ask around those who they most likely knew for the item.

If one was lucky, someone knew somebody who had it. (albeit the next state over perhaps)  Little did we know a neighbor up the street might had what we wanted, but we don't always know who or where to ask.

The same is true today as with that day with George.  Even though the customer in another country won Jimmy's bid of $435.00+ for a kit currently (at that time still offered) was available if only they would have called him direct.

ACL 1504 said quicker to the point what I was trying to say.  It's all to each his own.  For me or anyone looking for something.  One can only look for something based on who or what we know on how to find it or where to look.

I don't look at price (whether buying or selling) online or in store.   I look at quality or availability or simply I can get it today in a store for more or wait 2 weeks in the mail to save 15%.  That's all.  To each is his own. Right?

I simply think it's a bit unfair for anyone to tongue lash anyone else for buying or selling anything for more or less, just because someone says they would or could pay a different price.  Again I'm sure someone else can shorten my dissertational thoughts to one two words instead of 40. ha.

I must sound like Boyd Crowder from the TV series Justified! Which I liked very much. ;D  ok let the bi-outch slappin' begin!   Thanx Thom...

JimF

tct855, yes, you are the Tom I was referring to. And your 2nd post did make sense (maybe it was all them smiley faces had be confused)

Patricia K, my post was in no way a criticism of you, nor your pricing. Sorry if it seemed so. My issue is the folks who do buy, without researching around.

As Tom (ACL1504) said, if you get the prices you ask, more power to you. Fully understand exorbitant medical bills, wife and I have had our share. It's one reason I have not bought all the kist I would like to have, and build.

Jim F

Dave K.

For what it's worth (and that ain't much), I agree with Tom when he hailed the seller for getting their price. And, as Jim said, a kit is worth what I'm willing to pay. Pretty simple, eh?🤑

NEMMRRC

I love the free FOS kits that sell for way way way lots.

You can't make this stuff up.

Jaime