Jonathan Snyder New Cumberland, PA. Effective Technical Applications, INC GOT ME

Started by RailroadKits, January 29, 2019, 01:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailroadKits

It's not very often I get mad. I have the greatest life. I'm a paralyzed quadriplegic in a wheelchair, yes. But I have it better than so many other people in this world. I may never walk again, but I'm more of a man than this fraud I'm writing about today. He got to me. I'm angry. He won, but I hope to get the last word in.

I would never, ever, misrepresent anything for financial gain. I will never rip someone off. I make mistakes, and plenty of them. This is an example of someone who could not accept a mistake I made.

I had put together a set of castings for the FSM Fine Scale Miniatures Sawmill set #170 based on a kit I had here in my collection. This kit was made in 1978. It has about 5 different stickers/writing on it with different prices, from various resales over the years. Forty years and at least 5 different owners. Things went missing. Apparently 12 castings.

I listed the first set on eBay in December, incorrectly assuming it was a "Full Set." I listed them as such. I guaranteed them as such.

As you can see above, I also show a picture of the castings included, and again list them as a "Complete Castings Set" in the eBay ad.

RailroadKits

After I'd sold a few sets via eBay, I received a message from a buyer, Jonathan Snyder of New Cumberland, PA., informing me that the set is far from complete. The set was missing 12 castings. He compared them to his sawmill kit. Jonathan even sent me the pictures of the castings I was missing. Great! I'd just organized the molds, approximately 1000 of them, so finding the 12 missing castings would be easy. At the same time, I put out a specific request on The Modelers Forum and Facebook for photos of the casting set from kit #170. I wanted to see if the 12 missing castings were in another kit, thinking that maybe George Sellios had varied some of the less important castings such as barrels and benches, with random "filler" castings
THE 12 MISSING CASTINGS
[/font][/font][/font]

Sure enough, there were some important missing castings. After going through the molds of every kit up until #170, I had no luck matching the castings of the "Machine Shop Shutters" or the boiler door, which I determined to be the most important of those missing. Yes, I have every mold that George Sellios had in his possession. Is it possible that there is still a mold somewhere in his huge warehouse/building that he isn't aware of? Yes.

On the realization that I did not have a full set of the castings for kit #170, nor could I locate the molds of those missing castings, I changed the wording for the subsequent eBay ads. I do get messages via eBay asking if these sets are complete. I respond "no," and often loose the sale. If I could advertise this as a full set, I would. If I could make the full set, I would.

One such message from an eBay'r I think may have actually been Jonathan Snyder (jonathanas1946) himself, using another eBay user ID, johsiss, to possibly catch me trying to be dishonest.

When his emails/messages got to the point of insulting, (Stonewalling) I blocked him from messaging me. I don't want any negativity in my life. I don't enjoy it. He assumed I was "stonewalling" him because I wouldn't send him his castings. Jonathan had a valid point. I misrepresented what I sold him. He wanted his 12 castings, and rightfully so. I didn't have them. What could I do? I started the return process via eBay and sent him a label to return the casting.

RailroadKits

I received this message on eBay, after I replied to him directly via email – stating I have replied to each & every message he sent me within hours, if not minutes.

"Mr. Jimmy Deignan;
You sent the following message to my private e-mail; it reads:
"Jonathan, I don't appreciate your complaint of me "stonewalling" you. Perhaps you should look into your eBay Messaging folders and see that I have responded to you within hours of asking me any questions. Please see the replies below in my eBay "Sent" folder showing my responses to your every message, on exactly the same day you messaged me."
Your above message is way off point; my "STONEWALLING" comment was provided since you dismissed my original complaint by claiming you had provided all of the FSM Kit 170 metal castings and the ones that I had found in the incomplete FSM Sawmill Kit 170 were "extras" that "George" normally threw into his kits.
I coordinated a visit with Mr. Sellios and traveled to his workshop decades ago, he generously spent 4 hours of his time with me; Mr. Sellios is a "Master Craftsman Kit Designer & Manufacturer", he is a very precise professional who I believe assured that every Kit Box contained exactly the same contents.
I provided you a copy of the photographs Mr. Sellios included in his instructions for building his Sawmill Kit 170 and that show every casting provided in the kit. The 14 metal castings I requested you to provide are all documented in Mr. Sellios' Kit 170 Photographs.
Obviously, Mr. Sellios did not intend for you to market a complete set of his Kit 170 metal castings or he would have sold you all of the molds.
Concerning you comment:
"I've responded to your request for a return. I'm paying the return postage. What more can I do for you?"
You can provide a Return Shipping Label through the e-Bay System vs. sending me an e-mail outside of the e-Bay System that requires me to pay for the postage. Your approach provides no documentation in the e-Bay System that I returned your "Set of Incomplete Metal Castings for FSM Kit 170" which was sold to me as a "Complete Set of Metal Castings for FSM Kit 170"."
[/color] At this point I had already approved the return via eBay. It was up to him to print out the label and mail the castings back.

Now comes the good part. This is why I am losing faith in humanity. You'll see that I paid for a return label via eBay 1/11. According to tracking, the return was finally shipped on 1/22, a week-and-a-half after and my PO box showed it delivered 1/24.  I apologize for the delay in refunding on 1/28, but the big Springfield show had my attention for a few days. I refunded Jonathan on 1/28. After going to the post office and picking up my mail, and opening the return from Jonathan, I found a note, and this:

RailroadKits

Yes... Jonathan Snyder, the man who appears to be president of his own company, Effective Technical Applications, INC; sent me back ½", coarse thread nuts. 11 of them. Not even 12, which would have at least showed he had some sense of humor. Outright fraud. Not a mistake mind you. The accompanying letter doesn't mention why he returned nuts, instead of my "excellent" castings...

RailroadKits

I had prematurely refunded Jonathan (before I opened the box of nuts) because never in a million years would I have thought that anyone would do this. The case is now closed, and I'm out $44.99. I can't do anything. Even if I could, writing this letter is better medicine than calling eBay or PayPal. I guess Jonathan thought I was dishonest, so he tried to do me one better. I'm not sure why my 100% positive feedback eBay account is "Red Flagged" and being banned, but so far they must still be "in the process" because I've since sold at least 10 sets since then. eBay removed his feedback he left for me. I'm not sure what it said, but it must have been vulgar? At least it was positive!

If anyone has any ideas what other kits may contain these castings, please let me know. Jonathan would like them. He's not convinced that I can't find them amongst over 1000 molds I received from George.

RailroadKits

If anyone knows Jonathan Snyder of New Cumberland, PA., tell him I said hello, and I apologize for my mistake in listing a set of 75+ castings as "Complete" because the set I modeled it after was missing 12, and it just so happens I can't find the molds with several of those missing castings.

Tell him not to bother apologizing for what was totally my fault (minus the fraudulent return on his part.)

I'm sorry he believed I was just making excuses. That was never the case. I really, truly, can't find several of those castings.

James Deignan
Holden, Massachusetts.

ACL1504

Jimmy,

I wouldn't let one person spoil your faith in humanity. Everyone on this forum knows how diligent and "how very honest" you are in making things right.

One very unhappy individual doesn't define how we deal with others. One day he will realize what a fool he made of himself.

My mother once told me, "There is payday someday, we may not see it for those who weren't kind to us, put there will be a payday for then".

Keep up the great work.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Sending you nuts using the return label for the kit parts arguably constitutes Mail Fraud.  (But IANAL.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Vilius

The same guy did exactly the same thing to me last week. He sent me a box of random pieces of wood instead of the FSM kit.

Vilius

ReadingBob

Wow!  Sorry you had to go through that Jimmy. 

This reminds me, I still owe you photo's of the castings in some of the other kits I have.  I think I sent pictures of the castings from 4 or 5 kits but never got around to snapping pictures of the rest.  Sorry about that.  I'll try to remember to get some more pictures for you. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

RailroadKits

Quote from: Vilius on January 29, 2019, 02:57:13 PM
The same guy did exactly the same thing to me last week. He sent me a box of random pieces of wood instead of the FSM kit. Vilius
It's a small world Vilius. I know we aren't the only ones. Sorry that happened to you.

Jimmy

GPdemayo

Don't worry about a jerk like that Jimmy.....you've more than validated your reputation to all of us over the years.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tom.boyd.125

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

RailroadKits

BandOGuy

Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.