Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I think we can live with that. I will next be building the inner walls over my revised template and adding the barn siding on the outer walls. Basically switching back and forth while the glue is drying.

Here is an overall picture without out all the clamps, squares, and weights in the way.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

great modeling.  I have not had much luck with the copper electrical tape. When I solder on it it seems to pull off.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on September 13, 2020, 09:17:03 PM
great modeling.  I have not had much luck with the copper electrical tape. When I solder on it it seems to pull off.

Curt

Thank you for the kind words.  I'm not sure what might be the problem with your copper tape experience.  I have used a lot of it for LED wiring and have not experienced a problem.  I have some installations in my little junction boxes - the pull out drawers that I have around the layout - that have been there for five years. 
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

I've been following your progress on the barn, great stuff. The cows being milked is a really good feature. I love the barn flooring as it does remind me of my mother's family farm in Vandalia, IL.

Well done my friend, very well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Judge

John - Good progress on the barn.  Interesting floor.  Add a little hay and some horse muffins and it will be perfect. Will there be an attached pig pin?  I've never seen a "hog waller" in HO scale.

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 14, 2020, 10:35:06 AM
John,

I've been following your progress on the barn, great stuff. The cows being milked is a really good feature. I love the barn flooring as it does remind me of my mother's family farm in Vandalia, IL.

Well done my friend, very well done.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for the kind words - Dario really does a nice job with his kits.  I remember following your build of the Delwins Boat and Net a few years back.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on September 14, 2020, 11:34:36 AM
Hey John:

Looks great. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the encouraging words - I'm putting barn red siding on the outer walls today. I should have a picture or two this evening.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Judge on September 14, 2020, 02:02:51 PM
John - Good progress on the barn.  Interesting floor.  Add a little hay and some horse muffins and it will be perfect. Will there be an attached pig pin?  I've never seen a "hog waller" in HO scale.

Bill

Thank you, I'm working on the hay bails this afternoon and the cow pies will follow.  There will be a separate barn for the horses and horse muffins. As for the pig pin, yes there will be one but it will not be attached.  Even the cows think the pigs stink too much to be in the same barn. ;)  The same goes for the chicken coop.
John Siekirk

bparrish

John...

You mentioned hay bales.  I did this some years ago from a Harry Brunk photo. 

Bob Brown ran this in the Gazette.

I made up a BUNCH of quarter inch squares of 1/16" balsa.  It only works with balsa.   Then glue them together into the length of bale that you want.

Then take a jar of some sort of Floquil green and don't shake it much.  You really only want the green base oil.

The randomizing factor is that when you assemble the bales, the grain will be in all different directions so each layer (flake) will take the oil differently.

It's hard to see in the photo but the bale wire or strings are nothing more than pencil lines.

Let me know if you try it.

see ya
Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on September 14, 2020, 06:55:54 PM
John...

You mentioned hay bales.  I did this some years ago from a Harry Brunk photo. 

Bob Brown ran this in the Gazette.

I made up a BUNCH of quarter inch squares of 1/16" balsa.  It only works with balsa.   Then glue them together into the length of bale that you want.

Then take a jar of some sort of Floquil green and don't shake it much.  You really only want the green base oil.

The randomizing factor is that when you assemble the bales, the grain will be in all different directions so each layer (flake) will take the oil differently.

It's hard to see in the photo but the bale wire or strings are nothing more than pencil lines.

Let me know if you try it.

see ya
Bob

Bob

Thank you for posting the pictures of you hay bales along with the process you used to make them. They do look nice.  I currently have some bales about 25 % completed on my work bench that I'm making using static grass.  A technique I learned from following Greg's Build thread on Whispering Falls.  I will see how these turn out and may make up a few using your technique to compare. Stay tuned.
John Siekirk

Jerry

Can't say much.  Your up to your usual build and detailing.  great work.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on September 16, 2020, 09:50:25 AM
Can't say much.  Your up to your usual build and detailing.  great work.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along and your encouragement.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

It's time to get my build thread caught up.  I started the barn siding on the Whispering Falls build and decided on the DSP technique (aka Dalrymple Sock Process) for coloring the strip wood. Here is how I started.  I have a number of small rasps that I have collected over the years.  I weather the strip wood by running down the board with the rasp about 3 times to give it the grain texture.  Each of these rasps has a little different tooth pattern so I get a variety of grain patterns.  I also get different patterns by going straight down the strip of wood or across at and angle.

John Siekirk