Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

If you zoom in on this picture you can see the grain marks before I add the driftwood stain.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Next, all the strips are dipped in the driftwood stain. The interior side of the strip wood will remain this color.  The outside and only the outside of the strip is to  be colored the traditional barn red.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This is where the DSP technique comes in.

Side note:  Mark Dalrymple described his sock painting process in his thread which generated a number of question from yours truly. I would have used a sponge for this process but was never completely satisfied with the sponge technique.  So Mark described how he dabbed the paint on with a sock.  I tried it with a sock I had and it didn't work very well for me. So I asked questions and it turns out that the type of sock is critical - at least in my humble opinion. If you look closely at this sock it has a unique weave to it. We are looking at the inside of the sock. So I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story but the process is to dab the sock in the paint. Then blot off most of the paint on a paper towel.  And then dab the paint that is left onto the strip wood.  I tried to do it a little different on each piece of strip wood.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

As the process moved along I sometimes didn't even add paint from the card to the sock but just went back and dabbed the sock where I had removed paint from previous iterations.

As you can see from the pictures, the boards really look different from board to board. If you want to make a prototype comparison take a look back a couple pages and look at the barn pictures from my Grandparents farm.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also brake a few of the pieces of strip wood to size to give that rotted look on the bottom edge. Sorry about the darker pictures on the workbench. It makes it hard to see the red paint.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Also on the Whispering Falls build I did a thorough review of the dimensions on the templates for the interior walls and redrew the template for my walls.  Dario's template is labeled 3 27/32 which is the interior overall dimension needed but the template measures 4 inches.  I just made a quick drawing that adjusted the dimensions proportionally and made 5 copies for the 5 interior walls so I could make them all at once.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

John Siekirk

bparrish

John....

The raggedy aged barn wood is really cool.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Bob

Thank you for the encouraging words.  Here is a picture of most of side one that gives a better picture of the finished look. I started on this side because most of it is covered by the additions - now I hate to cover it up.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I put the widow casting in to make sure it fit.  From the picture I need to make a little adjustment to get it square to the world. I haven't ruled out the fisheye affect from my iPhone.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

It is also time for an update on my G. Wiliker's build.  The roofers got started on the main building, today.

I need to add the cupola now that I have finally decided on which color shingles I wanted to use.  I did the first side as a test.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Note on taking photographs with an iPhone.  I think the white tape in the background of these pictures is messing up the photographs.  The structure is actually not in a shadow. I'm going to take a picture with the SLR this afternoon to test my theory.
John Siekirk