FSM #145 Coal Tower

Started by Opa George, June 27, 2020, 06:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Mike, this would indeed be awesome in O scale. Maybe you'll get inspired!

Today I took a little time to put in the coal bunker floors. Before that, I jumped ahead of the instructions to put plastic acetate in the windows, figuring it would be easier without floors in the way. I cut the glazing from the sheet using the full size plans--much easier than my usual cut and trim to fit.  No window shades on the tower, though. I think the only use of windows on this structure would be to provide natural light to the inside for illumination.

Two pieces of stripwood were added to the bottom of each front and back wall to support each floor edge, then the floors were glued in place, scribed side facing down, with one resting at its peak on the edge of the other. Prior to installation, I added some bracing to correct a minor warping.

The little bit of discoloration at the peak marks where I added some dabs of cyanoacrylate to secure the joint.  The edge of one floor kept wanting to slip down by about 1/16th. The super glue stopped it in its tracks.  I checked, and it is not visible on the scribed side underneath.

Here is the underside, which will receive lots of bracing shortly.  But before that, I will be building the other two interior walls of the tower.

--Opa George

PaulS

It's coming along great George !!
Looks very nice and you are making very good progress.
All the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Opa George

Quote from: PaulS on July 03, 2020, 04:08:01 PM
It's coming along great George !!
Looks very nice and you are making very good progress.
All the best,
--Paul

Thanks, Paul. I'm rather surprised at how quickly the work progresses on this kit. With so many of the lumber pre-cut to exact size, it is a pleasure to work with.
Happy 4th of July to you!
--George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Looks great!  Following along with these older FSM kit builds is blast.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Looks great George! I wonder how many hours George had into each one of these kits cutting all the strip wood and clapboard. No laser work on this one.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey George:

It's coming along very nicely. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Opa George

Thanks much, Curt, Bob, John and Karl. 

A little more time to work on it this evening as thundershowers threaten. 

I jumped ahead and added the center brace between the two interior floor sections because I didn't want to work around the completed interior tower walls.  George recommends completing the tower's interior walls at this point by building down from the sloped floors. That proved to be good advice.

The topmost part of the interior walls are short, and I started by measuring and cutting the one that did not need to be angled.  Once I had that cut and was satisfied with a trial fit, I cut a second piece to the same height.  The second piece was then cut diagonally to create the angled wall piece.  Below is the first, non-angled wall piece, in position (just above my index finger).

Here is another view of that starter piece, showing how it will fit into the interior wall scheme.

Once the two top pieces are cut to fit, the two interior bottom pieces require no cutting as they should match up to the exterior walls. Below are the two interior bottom wall pieces. The one on the left has a small pit of scrapwood at the top to help it attach to it's upper mate.  The one on the right has the angled piece attached at the top, and the corner post attached at the edge where it will join to the other interior walls.  Note that I also notched that wall piece at the right top and bottom so it will clear other trim and the "concrete" base.

Here is the interior bottom wall (left, above) attached to that first starter piece and clamped until the glue set.  (Love my clothespins for quick clamps)

Finally, the last interior wall piece in place to complete the tower interior up to the floor.  This time I used the square clamp to hold it tight and square.  Now it needs to dry completely.

All for now!
--Opa George

Mark Dalrymple

Nice progress, George.  Its coming on a treat!

Cheers, Mark.

tom.boyd.125

George,
Your coal tower build is moving along fine...will follow along to pick up more construction tips...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Opa George

Thanks for the comments, Mark and Tommy!  I enjoy and value your input any time.

Tonight I added studs underneath the bunker floor.  These were precut but for minor fitting. I found I needed to slightly angle the end that joined the bottom floor supports for a good fit.  Sounds simple, but these took me a good hour.
Here is what the completed stud arrangement looks like.

And another angle.  You may also notice I installed the floor to the hoist tower.

And finally the cross beams.  These attached flush to the studs.  Really not much to comment on here.  I needed to trim these by about 1/16th inch to fit, but that is per the instructions, so not a mis-fit.

All for now.
--Opa George

PRR Modeler

Great modeling George. This is going to look awesome when complete.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

This is coming along wonderfully (and quickly) George.

You made me look.  I do have this in my stash.  If I ever get around to it I'll certainly try to remember to refer back to your thread for tips/tricks/ideas.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Looking great George - and you are moving fast on this.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Opa George

Quote from: PRR Modeler on July 07, 2020, 08:43:10 PM
Great modeling George. This is going to look awesome when complete.

Thanks, Curt. I appreciate you looking in.
--Opa George