CCK Cape Fear Bunkhouse AKA Rockingham Co. Grange Hall No. 6

Started by Raymo, February 17, 2014, 07:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

When I first saw this building it was a test cut Jeff had at the EXPO and I thought it had a New England feel to it, thinking it could be kitbashed into a small factory or warehouse of sometype. A couple of towns over the border from me in New Hampshire is a Grange Hall similar in size and shape to this kit, so that's where we'll start. I'll add a brick foundation and an enclosed stairway to the back wall. I'm still trying to decide if I want to add a front porch or deck to the structure. Here's a photo of the box.

Raymo

Here's the contents of the box. Not everything will be used.

Raymo

I've started by adding the bracing. I tend to over-brace When the bracing was dry, I sprayed the inside of the walls with earth camo. paint to seal them I'll let that dry overnight before doing anymore. Stay tuned. Raymo

Dave K.

Quote from: Raymo on February 17, 2014, 08:06:04 PM
I've started by adding the bracing. I tend to over-brace

Yeah, I've tended toward the "you can't overbrace" school of thought. Our club is in a basement with wide swings in humidity, so what's the downside?  Enjoying your thread.

robertseckler

Raymo

Thanks for following along. Might try to prep windows and doors for paint tonight. Hopefully I'll get up to take photos of the reference building this weekend too. Bob, I'll try to paint the tanker too. ;) Raymo

DEFugere

Dan, good start. I like converting structures for a custom industry.

David

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Raymo

I was able to get out yesterday morning to get pictures of the Grange Hall that I'm basing this build on. Although not exact matches,I feel the buildings have similar characteristics.

Raymo

I also was able to get a photo of the covered stairwell in the back. I won't build mine exactly like this.

Raymo

After giving the siding a wash of alcohol and ink, I gave it a coat of SP Lettering Gray for a base coat.

Raymo

While that was drying, I sprayed the windows and doors with some Reefer White. I painted the corner trim white also.

Raymo

I decided to give the siding  some drybrushing with some other colors for depth. I started with some Floquil Primer which is a little lighter than the SP Gray, and then some light coat of the Reefer White.

Raymo

I then went to the dark side and added  some nail holes and lifted some random clapboards and added the corner trim

Raymo

I started working on the foundation by using some 1/4x1/8 stripwood.