CCK Cape Fear Bunkhouse AKA Rockingham Co. Grange Hall No. 6

Started by Raymo, February 17, 2014, 07:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbvb

What I see about the sign is the ratio of print to white space.  For about the last 30 years, there has been a big fad of "more white space makes a better page" (remember those foolish small-format IBM PC manuals?).  But when you have a certain amount of wall space for a sign, and there's no point in having one unless it's legible from a distance, the print is denser and the margins are smaller .  Years ago it was even denser and margins were often no greater than the line width in the largest letters (check out Shorpy or one of the period photo reproduction books).
James

ReadingBob

Raymo,

Very well done.  I love the natural look of the sidewalks with the grass/weeds between the tracks, the overall look of the diorama and, of course, the trucks.  If I had a layout I'd be proud to have a build like yours on it.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Raymo

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 03, 2014, 09:49:51 AM
Raymo,

Great job on the Grange Hall! Well detailed and natural looking. Love the truck!

Tom ;D
Thanks Tom.

Raymo

Quote from: tabooma county rwy on April 03, 2014, 11:27:20 AM
Raymo,

Your Grange Hall turned out really nice! 

I'm a vehicle "nut" and think the 5 vehicles you have in the diorama really help set off the mood for the structure.  They are Sylvan, right?

Al Carter
Yes Al, They're all Sylvan products. I need to get building some more. Raymo

Raymo

Quote from: bparrish on April 03, 2014, 01:34:05 PM
Al..

I think the truck is a mini metals product....

I'm not sure about the big sedans but he has my truck in there..... a 41 Chevrolet

I'm leaning against the fender and the guy at the door is a friend that I farmed with for about 30 years.

see ya
Bob

Sorry Bob, but it is a Sylvan vehicle. I've seen that picture before and I must say I'm jealous. It's one of my favorite body styles. Thanks again, Raymo

Raymo

Quote from: jbvb on April 03, 2014, 11:10:01 PM
What I see about the sign is the ratio of print to white space.  For about the last 30 years, there has been a big fad of "more white space makes a better page" (remember those foolish small-format IBM PC manuals?).  But when you have a certain amount of wall space for a sign, and there's no point in having one unless it's legible from a distance, the print is denser and the margins are smaller .  Years ago it was even denser and margins were often no greater than the line width in the largest letters (check out Shorpy or one of the period photo reproduction books).
James,thats what I don't like about the sign and want to do new one. I like the font but I feel the sign should be a 1/3 to a 1/2 narrower in height and at least 1/8 of an inch narrower in width. I think moving the Rockingham County closer together would help. The joys of trying to beat a deadline :o  Thanks for checking in, Raymo

Raymo

Quote from: ReadingBob on April 04, 2014, 07:39:57 AM
Raymo,

Very well done.  I love the natural look of the sidewalks with the grass/weeds between the tracks, the overall look of the diorama and, of course, the trucks.  If I had a layout I'd be proud to have a build like yours on it.   :D
Thank You and Good Luck to you too. Raymo

Amagic41

Beautiful job I love the sidewalk with the grass growing through it !
Ken Crump
KC's Workshop
Bowie,Md
www.kcworkshop.com

ACL1504

I love that picture of Bob and his '41 Chevy truck!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Raymo

Raymo

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 05, 2014, 08:06:46 AM
I love that picture of Bob and his '41 Chevy truck!

Tom ;D
We All should be that lucky to have a toy like that,but then we do in our respective scales. ;D

Zephyrus52246