Bar Mills Gibley's Furniture Co.

Started by coors2u, February 17, 2014, 09:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coors2u

I'm throwing my hat into the ring. This is a new kit that is offered by Bar Mills. I really like the layout of the kit. Here is what all is in the box. It has a smoke stack and several other great details.
Dustin

coors2u

The siding in this kit is very unique. It's a fiber type material. Think soft wood cardstock. The instruction tell you to paint this first. The strange part is you don't add the bracing yet. Also there is a warning to not over saturate. For this reason I decided to use an airbrush to paint them.
Dustin

coors2u

I used very light coats to build up the color. I used a mix of Vallejo panzer gray and golden carbon black. You want it to have a tarpaper look once complete. I think it turned out good. Next up is the shake shingles. These will have to be painted with a mix of washes.
Dustin

Dave K.

How do you like the Vallejo airbrush paint, Dustin?

coors2u

Dave, I like it so far. It is a little thick to spray straight from the bottle. I spray at about 20psi. It thins out real well with a drop or two of windex. The coverage is great for what I've used it for.
Dustin

DEFugere

Dustin, where do you get the time, and work bench space? This along with the sawmill, holy cow!

David

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ak-milw

coors2u

David, I set the sawmill aside for a bit. It is something a really don't want to rush. I actually have a smallish work area. It's a drafting table.

Jerry, I'm glad your following along.

Thanks Andy, I'll have an update soon.
Dustin

coors2u

Time for a much needed update. The building is covered by a great deal of shingle siding. I decided to shoot from the hip with these. First was a thin coat of rustolem camo khaki. Next was a mix of Rembrandt chalks. I don't remember which ones. Mostly browns and a little gray. TaaDaa.
Dustin

coors2u

Here is the process of putting them on. They are on every side.
Dustin

coors2u

The shingles still need a light dry brushing and a thin wash but that will come later. Next was the bracing. Lots of it. With the walls being mainly fiber board I can see why. I used glue sparingly as the kit calls for it.
Dustin

coors2u

Next was to install the corner bracing. I just used a quick wash I had. It is Hunterline driftwood. The wood for the corner bracing is used for other parts also so I stained all of it at once. Just seemed easier.
Dustin

coors2u

Once all the bracing had dried I squared everything up and it was time to glue all the sides together.
Dustin

coors2u

The building has a great laser cut section of rafter tails. I honestly wouldn't like to have to cut all these out.
Dustin