Pennsylvania K4 Repaint

Started by ACL1504, March 17, 2020, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I have 7 or 8 brass locos left to paint. When I finish these I'm done. My plan is to do 1 every two weeks if possible. After all, I have no other projects in the works. Hope my nose isn't getting longer.

The Duluth, Missabe & Northern 2-10-2 is out for some back shop repairs so I'll start with the Pennsy K4.

Note: This is not one I painted but rather one painted by one of my old competitors.

This is a brass K4 built by Atlas and imported by PFM, Pacific Fast Mail. This is the 1975 version and sold for around $180.00 back then. More on the loco details later as well.

There is a lot of history on this model and I'll get into that later. For now here are some photos of how it looks at present.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

vinceg

Very nice, Tom. I've always like the Pennsy K-4s and that one looks great.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

BandOGuy

Happy middle of the week to those stopping by. Have to remember to put the trash out tonight.
Didn't hoard any TP, but wish now I'd hoarded some new Xacto knife blades. Grrr.
Enjoy, all.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

GPdemayo

Nice loco Tom.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

I've watched your repaints as I have several that I just can't get brave enough to do.  Well mine are dismals and not foamers, but still . . . . .
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

RWL

Tom,

How are you doing? Another project, I know from where you come. You say the K4 is painted by one of your old competitors, wouldn't be Hal would it? Looking forward to your progress.

Bob

ACL1504

Quote from: vinceg on March 17, 2020, 10:43:46 PM
Very nice, Tom. I've always like the Pennsy K-4s and that one looks great.

Vince, 

Thanks for following along. This loco belonged to a local hobby shop owner. It will hopefully look much better after I get a new paint job on the K-4s.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: BandOGuy on March 18, 2020, 08:32:33 AM

Happy middle of the week to those stopping by. Have to remember to put the trash out tonight.
Didn't hoard any TP, but wish now I'd hoarded some new Xacto knife blades. Grrr.
Enjoy, all.

Chipper,

Always good to hear from you but this isn't the Wednesday Daily.  8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 18, 2020, 08:37:46 AM
Nice loco Tom.....I'll be looking in.  :)

Greg,

Glad to have you on the wagon.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Oldguy on March 18, 2020, 11:36:49 AM
I've watched your repaints as I have several that I just can't get brave enough to do.  Well mine are dismals and not foamers, but still . . . . .

Bob,

Welcome to the party. I still remember my first brass loco paint job. It was 1977 and a USRA 0-6-0 imported by NWSL. After I got it painted and decaled, I though it wasn't to bad. That was some 386 paint jobs ago. ??? ??? 

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: RWL on March 18, 2020, 02:15:08 PM

Tom,

How are you doing? Another project, I know from where you come. You say the K4 is painted by one of your old competitors, wouldn't be Hal would it? Looking forward to your progress.

Bob

Bob,

Very happy to hear from you. All is well here in the Langford corner of the world. Jess Skeen painted this for DeWitt's Train Depot in 1976. Hal now paints exclusively for Dan Glasure of Brass Trains in Ocala, Fl.

Hal and I are friends but we never competed for paint jobs.

Again, very happy to hear from you and very happy to hear all is well down your way. You are always welcome to stop by when in the area.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

One very important aspect of this repaint was the K-4 decals. When I first heard Champ Decals was shutting the doors, I ordered some decals for locos I had or thought I may need. This is one loco I knew one day would get repainted. It's the only loco on the A&S roster not painted in the S&A shops.

As it turns out I have three decal sets for a Pennsylvania K-4s.

More on Champ decals later in the thread.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This loco has had the old PFM Analog DC sound for the past 42 years. The PFM sound will need to be removed.

The next photo shows the PFM sound wiper on the main driver.

The tender was factory drilled for the 8 ohm 1.5" speaker. This will also have to be removed.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com