My Indiana Layout - Part 2

Started by John B, September 11, 2021, 03:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

After a long hiatus, I have returned to tinkering around on my layout...hopefully I have come to the point where I will stop changing things and start completing things.

This is what happens when you do NOT have a plan. More tearing apart. I had a plan in the beginning; but I just kept adding on more table work. The big mountain was a huge disaster. Square feet wise, the mountain was about 1/3rd of the layout. Trains went in and came out...big deal. So that is why I tore down the mountain. I cut an access hatch in the middle of the removed mountain area. That was doable; but it was a pain standing up in the hole. So...I tore out the end of the layout, making a "U" out of it. I added additional support legs prior to taking an axe to it.

Before:

After:

Each 'U' leg is about 25-inches wide.

I placed actual footprints of the kits that I will using on each leg.This leg shows Sierra West's The Shipyard.

This leg (next to the wall) will have Campbell's The Wharf and Knott's Landing; Bar Mills Waterfront Willie's and BIS The Waterfront

John B

I have added a little mountain to the far side, where the Topside Creeper is

The lighting in the photo is terrible. The mountain is much darker than it appears in the photo...and the brown on the background isn't (make that wasn't) that noticeable.

The mountain only sticks out from the backdrop about 3 inches at the base

The rockface is almost vertical. I used Grand Central Pine trees opposed to deciduous trees because of the width of the trees. The very top pine tree is actually glued to the backdrop.

I will be adding the Mill Creek Coal Tipple to the scene.

The mountain color is much darker and it looks like I need to add more scenery; but it is more a cliff than a mountain. I was going to cover up some of the brown on the backdrop with sky blue. Maybe add a few bushes.

This is my first real scenery try. I would appreciate any opinions and or suggestions...do the rocks look like rocks. I probably added way to much color to them...I thought the tipple looked pretty good by itself...but placed next to the mountain, it looks brand new...so much for my wreathing techniques...I am going to have to really attack the tipple to make it look used.

postalkarl

Hey John:

Just went through all your pictures again. layout is looking just great. Who make the Whistle Stop Diner you have on the layout.

Karl

John B

Quote from: postalkarl on December 03, 2021, 11:47:52 AM
Hey John:

Just went through all your pictures again. layout is looking just great. Who make the Whistle Stop Diner you have on the layout.

Karl

Karl,
Thanks for checking out my layout.  I hope this helps:

https://twinwhistle.com/whistlestopdiner.aspx

John B

Karl,
Don't know what happened; but right above the pictures; there is line of small works...click on the tiny words...that's the company link

ht
tps://twinwhistle.com/whistlestopdiner.aspx

Hope this is a little larger to read

jerryrbeach

John,

I really like the scenery.  I think adding some bushes and maby tiny pine trees to the top of the mountain will finish it off nicely.  As for the rock colors, i really like them.  I find a lot of scenery is subjective, some people like lighter rocks, some darker.  Mike Confalone built a quarry on the Allagash where he used (yellowish) ochre to color his Maine rocks similar to yours.  I thought it worked well, and I think yours is spot on for certain parts of the country. 

I think all the changes you have made are moving in a positive direction.  Your layout seems larger to me without that massive mountain.  Removing the duck under for better access also seems like a good idea, and I like the use of footprint area cardboard pieces to help plan structure locations.  I have done that for some structures on my layout, for others I have built cardstock mockups to help me visualize sight lines. 

I believe you will be motivated to make solid progress now that you have made so many positive changes. 
Jerry

John B

Jerry

Thanks for the nice comments...Warning though:  I do change my mind alot

John

postalkarl

Hey John:

Thanks for the info on the diner kit.

Karl

GPdemayo

Love the diner John.....great progress.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL