Instructional videos - is there a demand?

Started by Vilius, May 09, 2016, 02:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vilius

Thom brought up the question of instructional videos the other day. I have been thinking about the same thing on and off for quite some time now. Since there is a number of professional videos on building craftsman kits available is there need for amateur level content?

Vilius

Glassman

I know I like to watch them as I work, and if they are good quality it does not matter who makes it. Just my thoughts....

deemery

The "pros" don't have a monopoly on good ideas and useful trick!  The one thing is, if you decide to do this, get someone to help you film and edit it.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

martin.ojaste

BandOGuy

In your quest, you might also check http://www.youtubemodelbuilders.com/emag/'
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Slim Jerkins

We're a niche within a niche (within a niche) hobby-wise. If you have something to show & tell then do it.

I've seen some "professional" videos that don't have the shots needed to show the specific detail or technique being demonstrated. I'm waiting for the cut to a close-up that never comes.  >:(  Very frustrating. Your "amateur" offering might just be what someone is looking for.

Martin keeps posting some great video on the M&K Youtube site. I should follow his lead and do the same.

-slim

Vilius

Thank you everyone for your input. Martin's video stats confirm my personal habits. I am more likely to watch 5-10 minute video that covers one tip or technique and I do it while eating dinner or having morning coffee. Anything beyond 15 minutes is serious commitment. I can watch trains run for that long and I do it for relaxation sometimes.
My good HS friend is in video industry. I could ask him to help me with the editing. However, I can't afford to pay for his plane ticket to get him over and do the filming. Would be nice though.
While number of replies suggest that I better forget this whole video thing I still may do 2-3 anyway once I get my studio lights. I want the lights for different purpose but they also would be very helpful while filming as well.

Vilius

Slim Jerkins

Vilius

I think you could do the editing on your own. If you're talking a big production, DVD production , etc. then yes, get someone to edit. If you're talking about uploading bite-sized chinks like Martin's then I think you could probably handle it. I've been amazed at what people have done on an iPhone alone. Video editing software has become user-friendly and affordable.

-slim

martin.ojaste

Editing video really is not that difficult or time consuming. If you make it a high production level video with music and flashy screens and alternate video clips it does really take a lot of time. I found that  diskspace, rendering and upload times are the biggest issues. My highend iMac helps but if you want an archivable 1024p HD video library plan to have LOTS AND LOTS of diskspace. It takes me about 15 minutes to edit the shorter simple videos, but I commited not to have high production values and keep it simple to the point (mostly). Leadin and ending are each less than 10 seconds. "Just the facts mam"

My stats indicate the average viewer only watches 3:30 minutes and then clicks off, except some the loyal niche viewers. So I try very hard to have the main points/content in the first 2:00 minutes and the last 1:00 minute. The stuff in the middle is fast forwarded to avoid the boredom, but sometimes I just can't do that. In those cases, the length will be below 15:00 or split into multiple videos.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Unless you really need studio lights, don't buy them. They are too expensive and have limited use.

Slim Jerkins

Quote from: M&K Railway on May 11, 2016, 10:28:48 AM
Editing video really is not that difficult or time consuming. If you make it a high production level video with music and flashy screens and alternate video clips it does really take a lot of time. I found that  diskspace, rendering and upload times are the biggest issues. My highend iMac helps but if you want an archivable 1024p HD video library plan to have LOTS AND LOTS of diskspace. It takes me about 15 minutes to edit the shorter simple videos, but I commited not to have high production values and keep it simple to the point (mostly). Leadin and ending are each less than 10 seconds. "Just the facts mam"

My stats indicate the average viewer only watches 3:30 minutes and then clicks off, except some the loyal niche viewers. So I try very hard to have the main points/content in the first 2:00 minutes and the last 1:00 minute. The stuff in the middle is fast forwarded to avoid the boredom, but sometimes I just can't do that. In those cases, the length will be below 15:00 or split into multiple videos.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Unless you really need studio lights, don't buy them. They are too expensive and have limited use.

Thanks for the stats Martin. I have a few DVDs on the shelf and to be honest, despite they're being professional productions, my eyes glaze over after ten minutes. Kind of like watching the football game after Thanksgiving dinner when you're not interested in either team. I guess I'm a victim of mass media and have to have the point blasted at me within thirty seconds or so.

Things that keep me from clicking off of a video (your mileage may vary):

• Good lighting
  • Good sound
  • Prepared content - not a lot of "ummms" and "ahhhs"
  • Editing with KISS principles in mind - no flashy transitions, lower thirds, titling effects, etc. This isn't Sports Week or MTV.
  • Boobs

-slim

ReadingBob

Quote from: Slim Jerkins on May 11, 2016, 10:43:19 AMThings that keep me from clicking off of a video (your mileage may vary):

• Good lighting
  • Good sound
  • Editing with KISS principles in mind - no flashy transitions, lower thirds, titling effects, etc. This isn't Sports Week or MTV.
  • Boobs

-slim

Good sound is at the top of the list for me.  My hearing isn't great to start with.  I hate videos where one SEGMENT IS NICE AND LOUD AND CLEAR and then the next is so soft I can barely hear what's being said.

A lot of times I pop in the DVD and play it while I'm working on a model.  It doesn't get my full attention, unless I'm waiting for glue or paint to dry or there's a really interesting topic being covered.

Boobs?  As in "a stupid or foolish person"?   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Slim Jerkins

Quote from: ReadingBob on May 11, 2016, 11:22:31 AM
Quote from: Slim Jerkins on May 11, 2016, 10:43:19 AMThings that keep me from clicking off of a video (your mileage may vary):

• Good lighting
  • Good sound
  • Boobs

-slim

Good sound is at the top of the list for me.  My hearing isn't great to start with.  I hate videos where one SEGMENT IS NICE AND LOUD AND CLEAR and then the next is so soft I can barely hear what's being said.

A lot of times I pop in the DVD and play it while I'm working on a model.  It doesn't get my full attention, unless I'm waiting for glue or paint to dry or there's a really interesting topic being covered.

Boobs?  As in "a stupid or foolish person"?   :D

I was seeing if you were paying attention.  ;)

Gary (glassman) puts DVDs on while he works too. I tried putting the TV on a couple of times but find it distracting. Perhaps Pens playoff games aren't a good choice. Music is good but TV is bad for me. I'm like the dog that spots a squirrel. However, if someone else is watching something in the next room I don't mind listening to it.

-slim

bparrish

This is something of a ............."what he said" response.

There are a lot of good ideas here for a good "how to" video.  And there are a number of turn offs listed also.

I taught for 17 years and learned what worked and what didn't.  Not just anyone can, or should make a video.  My experience in high school teaching is that anyone who survived high school now thinks they are an expert.

Public speaking requires four things. 

Tell 'em what your going to tell 'em.
Tell 'em.
Tell 'em what you told 'em.
Shut up ! ! !

In education we called the first a prep set.  That is give an over view of where we are going.
Then the instruction without the ummmmmmmmmmm s   as noted above.
A conclusion is required also then....... done.

I don't watch many You Tube videos due to the absence of the above noted things.

Just thinking out loud.

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

martin.ojaste

I've taking all the good presentation and sales courses I ever wanted to take and I hated ever one. Bob, I know the drill, but how did I really learn?

As a young ADD boy the only way I learned was watching someone do something, without teaching. I asked lots of questions. I hated school and the 'process' of teaching/ learning that never worked for a technical "do it" type person I am. That is why I don't "teach" in my videos, have no introductions per say and try very hard to not to repeat myself myself. Opps.lol.

I yearn for the days of apprenticships and starting with floor sweeping to growing as a master at my craft. Viewers that have the same way of learning will love my videos, no or little talking and as clear in focus images as possible. Sound is a challenge filming in the furnace room and no addition sound equipment. ($$$$)

The videos I produce is to replicate a young lad/gal looking over the workbench at their parent or older sibling doing "stuff". This motivated me to do stuff, it build dreams and help set goals. In our niche hobby you learn by getting out there, buy a kit and build it, then repeat many times.  That is how we make craftsman, through experience and continous learning the tricks of the trade.

If you teach all the tricks to an apprentice in a short time, it does not make them a craftsman. It needs to take time and making mistakes. What you see when watching my videos is a craftsman being a craftsman, taking a little time to explain what he is doing.

Ok, I will shutup now.

Boobs!?

Bobby

Vilius,

Do it! You are very talented. I would be interested in learning your techniques/perspective. And then just add Slim's last suggestion to "top" it off.  ;D [size=78%]  [/size]
Bobby - THE Goat!