Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: cuse on April 14, 2020, 06:27:32 PM
Thanks much, Jerry and Ed.

John, thanks for checking in...what are your thoughts on St Louis NNGC?

I wonder if it's possible to buy CHEAP flights now for future dates. risky?

John

Hi John

I would still like to go to the St. Louis Narrow Gauge Convention but it all depends on the BIG Germ as my Grandson calls it.  Papa can't visit him until the big germ goes away.  This new life style we find ourselves in is hard to explain to young kids.  I would have to see a couple months of no new cases before I will be willing to travel - especially on an airplane. So we will wait and see.  The NMRA national that was scheduled for this Summer in St. Louis has already been canceled.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

cuse

Visualizing with a little hot-gluing mixed in...Measure twice...trying to mock up all of the viewing angles before the earth rises up. This end is the first thing you see when you enter the room. Also the trickiest due to the backdrop end and end loop. Dos' Dead Horse Bay and Bar Mills Doverton (minus the wharf) should have nice featured spots. Once I walk around it for a few days and decide it's ok, it'll be time for some Bragdon foam rock faces. Getting all set up is a bit daunting for that step, but once it starts it's easy to make a lot of progress quickly.

Zephyrus52246

Good to see you back at the layout.  I'm hoping the Narrow gauge convention is held as I'd like to see the Bragdon demonstration in person. 

Jeff

cuse

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on April 18, 2020, 11:29:59 AM
Good to see you back at the layout.  I'm hoping the Narrow gauge convention is held as I'd like to see the Bragdon demonstration in person. 

Jeff

Thanks Dr. Jeff. Hope to make it there as well. Hope you're keeping safe.

I've just been refreshing my memory on the Bragdon process as I'm gearing up for the next step and I'm again stunned that this has not been more widely accepted. I wish Joel (Bragdon) had some good youtube videos up. The only thing I've ever seen is a two DVD set called "The Making of Tom Miller's Fabulous F-scale layout", which I purchased from Joel. There is one chapter showing the process as they create virtually weightless rockfaces the size of my house on this epic layout. It's really an amazing technique. I've never enjoyed the mess of plaster or the fragile nature of the castings. With the foam rock faces, the detail is amazing, they are close to unbreakable and (drum roll) you can heat them up and shape them to fit anywhere (at any time, even years later). I'm really not able to come up with a drawback...maybe, it wouldn't really be worth the effort to just make a single rock face. The setup is a little messy but can be done outside and then the application to the layout is pretty easy and workable. I sound like I should be working at his booth, but it really is exciting to me. I honestly think I avoided dramatic mountain scenery for decades because I didn't like the process or results until I saw the seminar.

Zephyrus52246

A quick question while on the subject, John.  I assume the system can be used to make "normal" scenery, like hardshell.  I ask as I have to make some bluffs which won't be totally open rock faces, like the pic below. 

Jeff

deemery

Dr Jeff, I've seen similar bluffs on the south side of Pittsburgh, along the P&LE tracks, as well as some other locations in SW PA. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

cuse

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on April 18, 2020, 01:45:26 PM
A quick question while on the subject, John.  I assume the system can be used to make "normal" scenery, like hardshell.  I ask as I have to make some bluffs which won't be totally open rock faces, like the pic below. 

Jeff

The way it works (in brief) is...
1. create a support system, it's somewhat self supporting, so just a few risers or "ribs" for the general shape
2. you make a skin of foam-covered fiberglass window screen. This can be several feet in size. This is draped over the support and shaped to contours desired. It is very easily re-heated and formed into place. Attach quickly with hot glue.
*What you have now is basically a more versatile hardshell contour. You could cover this with any finish from dirt to grass, etc.
3. cast foam rock faces...these are easily handled and very lightweight, so can be quite large. I have a mold thats probably 18" x 30" and is no different to work with than a small one. You apply these only where you want rocks.

Long winded answer, but YES

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for the info, John.

Jeff

sdrees

I am going to use the Bragdon procedure for my scenery.  I am very impressed with it and have sat thru several clinics on how to do it.  I like it for all the reasons mentioned above.
Steve Drees
SP RR

cuse

Good luck, Jeff and Steve. I look forward to your reviews if you use the Bragdon system...It's really on my "Rock Solid" list along with Ground Goop, Scenic Express ground cover, and early 70's Rolling Stones.

Today I scenicked a hill that will ultimately connect to the Bragdon-built rock faces that will dominate the end of the layout. I also added a few more foam supports to make it easy to shape the Bragdon shell when I get to it.

Janbouli

Wow , that's a mighty steep climb, looks fantastic , hope that car has good parking brakes.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Lynnb

Nice progress pics, at what point do you start to fill in the gaps?
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Jerry

John good to see a new update.  Great looking scene with the car.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ReadingBob

Quite stunning.  Keep up the great work my friend!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.