SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND RAILWAY - BOWES CREEK DIVISION

Started by CVSNE, November 26, 2018, 02:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CVSNE

Quote from: Raymo on August 27, 2019, 04:05:50 PM
Marty, watched the last video, Ben's Mill came out great! Unfortunately George Barrett has sold off his vehicle business and I talked to the new owner and it's going to be a slow process getting vehicles and bodies back out on the market. He made some different tanks and a newer milk body. Might have to scratch build that body.

Thanks Dan - reminds me I need to post photos of the finished mill on this thread!

Soooo, does that mean you're volunteering to build the milk truck? ;D
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

Raymo

CVSNE

Photos of Ben's Mill - next step is to plant it in a base that includes the mill falls, dam, etc...

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

ACL1504

Marty,

Getting caught up on all your progress. Looking very good. Update video was wonderful. No thumbs down from here.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

CVSNE

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 03, 2019, 01:01:48 PM
Marty,

Getting caught up on all your progress. Looking very good. Update video was wonderful. No thumbs down from here.

Tom ;D
Thanks Tom!

I planned to record another update this weekend - but frankly the place was a mess. Paul Dolkos came by for a visit and lunch yesterday - which required a clean up session all Monday morning.
Guess I can record an update now!
Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

CVSNE

I built this feedmill (it's entirely styrene (in case that's relevant) based on this prototype that stood along the CV in Waterbury, Vt.

The white (actually, it's very, very light gray) coat of paint you see here is the second. The first time I painted the building I attempted to weather it - tone it down really - with a alcohol wash. IT's the first time I tried this technique on a styrene model and the result was sub-optimal and ended up looking like somebody tried to apply a thin dark wash to a white model.

So I masked the roof and repainted the walls. Now it looks like "day glow" white.

Any suggestions on how best weather it so the walls look white/light gray - some paint starting to fail, etc...

My inclination is pastel chalks - perhaps darker on the along the sill, with maybe some thin runoff at the windows/doors etc... perhaps some drybrushing of a slightly more grayish white to look like failing paint?

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

ReadingBob

First off that finish on the stone foundation on the mill is incredible!  I love it.  I really need to practice my stone painting after seeing that.   :D

I have a favorite technique for finishing white walls however I don't think it will work well at this stage of the build.  I'll share it anyway if you'll indulge me.  I do this while the walls are still flat in front of me before the structure has been assembled.  In short it's a layered process. 

1. Stain the walls with Hunterline Light Gray (or A&I). 
2. Paint the walls while (I still have, and use, PollyScale Reefer White).  Depending on how weathered I want the walls I either use it full strength or thin it a bit to let the gray show through). 
3. "Dry sponge" the walls with a cheap craft store light gray acrylic to emulate where the while paint has peeled off an the gray primer is showing (Dove Gray is the color but I forget the brand).   
4. "Dry sponge" the walls with a light brown (Khaki in the case) craft store acrylic to represent bare wood peeking through). 
5. Brush on a very light A&I mix.  The last step also allows me to scrub off any of the gray or brown craft paints where I may have gotten a little heavy handed. 

Of course the degree to which I want the walls weather dictates how heavy I go with any of these steps.  The dry sponging of the gray and brown is barely visible but I really like the way it alters the appearance of the walls.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Marty

Fantastic work. As for the weathering, I find myself going over just about everything with a dry brush of chalk. I just like the way it tones things down and I think the texture helps, too.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

My approach for stone walls is to prime with the mortar color (light grey), then do the sponge-painting techniques like Bob, et.al.  I apply weathering powers/pigments at the end to provide more variation in the rock. 

It's been fun seeing this building project, and that reminds me how I need to get back to doing buildings.  I've been hung up on scenery in Mill Valley.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

CVSNE

Quote from: ReadingBob on September 13, 2019, 09:05:27 AM
First off that finish on the stone foundation on the mill is incredible!  I love it.  I really need to practice my stone painting after seeing that.   :D .
Thanks.

I'm of the stain, don't paint, school when it comes to plaster stonework.

The stonework is plaster castings from New England Brownstone. I start with an overall wash of Hunterline Light Gray - then follow up with stains made from Vallejo acrylics in variety of earth and gray tones thinned in acrylic medium. I'll also add a thin wash of green to some of the stones to capture the coloration of moss.
Then after that dries I'll lightly - very very lightly - drybrush an extremely light coat of light gray (actually some white with a few drops of gray added) to highlight the raised surface of the rock faces.

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

I think I might add a sign to the feedmill - might dress it up a bit?

Of course it will get weathered along with the building.

Here's a picture of the real mill in an earlier era:

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

It dawned on me about a week ago that I really shouldn't start on the Enosburg creamery until I'd at least figured out the basic footprint of the Implement dealer across the street. (I didn't want to make the creamery too large and then have no room for this thing):

Of course, I'll backdate the building somewhat - a rough - very rough - sketch to get the basic proportions:

I ended up starting on the model - kind of just happened once I'd gotten the basic dimensions figured out:
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

ACL1504

Marty,

I like the day glow white. In the south a great majority of the structures were white with white trim. I'm enjoying following along on this layout build.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

CVSNE

Just posted a quick video update on the layout on my YouTube Channel -

You can find it here: https://youtu.be/waevu2eZzs4

Stay until the end and you'll get to see how Molly tells me it's time for her walk... no lie, she actually does that!

Enjoy!

Marty
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA