The M-K & Eastern RR, a layout made of dioramas, sort of....

Started by Graffen, May 18, 2017, 10:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graffen

I just finished a coal bridge for my layout.

As it's a laser cut kit, I decided not to use a wash to color the wood, instead I painted it.

I used Vallejo IDF gray primer.

I then applied an oil based wash from AK.

The crane got weathered by various rust colors and powders.
Then some gloss oil spill.

This will be a nice addition to the engine service facilities.

Graffen

I set it on the layout.

Can look good when scenery and detailing is done.

Rail and Tie

Very nice Graffen, I really like the work you did on the crane and stand!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Graffen

Thanks!
Spruce/fir trees 2.0
Faller's fir trees are really not at all good looking, but with a few minutes of work their appearance can be much improved.
I use Polak model turf and some spray adhesive for this project.

They are very coarse as they are...

I trim the armatures to avoid the cone shape.

Less is more...

I applied some spray glue and two layers of turf.

This group of five trees took me 10 minutes to do, a time that can be reduced severely if made in a series.
I have over 1000 trees to do, so any savings of time and money are very welcome.

ACL1504

Well done on the trees. I did about 100 trees using this same method several years ago. I'm still using a few.

I really like how you finished the coal loading facility, great job.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Graffen

The town of Holy Cross needed a turntable at the engine terminal.
So I decided to build my own 75 foot turntable from plans.
I haven't followed the plans 100%, but almost...
I designed the pit in CAD and 3D printed it in three interlocking parts.
The track around it is in a small trench in the print. I haven't even glued it yet as it fits so good.
The bridge is all wood.
There's some details left to do as the stay wires and the drive system.

Graffen

I've started tracklaying again.
8)
All of the dual gauge is finished, now it's HOn3 all the way!

The DCC concepts powerbase plates are being installed on the incline.
It should really help with traction for the lighter locomotives.

The tracks on the lower level is getting there, this is where the stock pens will be.

tct855

Graffen from Sweden,
             I must say- I just love this thread!  You are without a doubt a very multi-talented awesome modeler for sure.  Your pictorials are fantastic, very detailed, very to the point.  I sit here looking at your painting, modeling, building & weathering and just love everything you're doing. 

This layout is just awe inspiring to say the least!  One final not, your engine building skills are very impressive my friend.  Keep doing what you are doing.  I like the positive difference you and many, many other modelers are making in this "World's Greatest Hobby".
                                                                                                           Thanx Thom...
https://youtu.be/uvUL28Skt6E

Zephyrus52246

I'd never heard of the DCC concepts powerbase.  Does it really work?  Oh, and the turntable is awesome work!

Jeff

postalkarl

Hey Graffen:

Looks great so far. I'm following along.

Karl

Opa George

I am late following this thread, but very interested. Especially in the scenery and rockwork.  I usually use plaster of paris in latex molds, but am very impressed by the aluminum foil castings.
--Opa George

Graffen

Thanks!   :D
The powerbase will be tested by me real soon.
I glued the plates with waterproof carpenters glue.
I weighted it down to dry.

Then I applied the same glue on the plates. The reason for using waterproof glue is that I don't want to risk the plates or track getting loose when I apply ballast...

I use my laser cut sweep sticks to both keep the radius and help pressing the track down.

The tracks on the zero level is all laid now!
It's all about going up the mountain now!

deemery

I got some of those DCC Concepts steel plates and magnets to try on the grade for my HOn30 line.  I'll be very interested to hear how they work for you!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Graffen

Test #2 of the Powerbase system. Comparison of a stock Blackstone C-19 and the magnet equipped Westside C-19.

https://youtu.be/BjTx_7Q-zgU