The Atlantic & Southern Saturday Report

Started by Judge, January 05, 2019, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge

The Board of Directors of the Atlantic & Southern met promptly at 0815 hours this morning and discussed a number of matters of interest.  Two new Baldwin prime mover decoders have been received by the A&S and will be installed in the railroad's leased Pensy Sharks.  The new SAL Citrus Scheme E units were received after being refitted with WOW Sound.  They run like a watch.  A&S #7, the 2-6-6-2,  was returned from Ucita Yard after out-shopping and she looks like new.  She hauled a pulpwood train from Sanlando up the Ovalix to the Summit without difficulty, although due to her low drivers, it took a full eighteen minutes to make the trip.  Greg would not like to run this locomotive.  Sufficient speed could not be attained, even at speed step 99, to suit Greg.  Lunch was at Smokey Bones, as usual.  After lunch, an ACL freight powered by an A-B-A set of F3's made the trip from Sanlando yard to the Summit via Piney Woods.  Those ACL diesels are really something else.

Number 7 looks brand new after shopping.

The lead ACL F3

ACL freight through Piney Woods

This week's story is one that proves Murphy's law is alive and well.
                                                                                                            All in a Day's Work

The workers on the maintenance crew at the A&S Roundhouse are a busy bunch on most days, and the day in question was no exception. 
   The single action air pump on number 1516 needed repair.  The headlight on number 431 needed a new bulb.  The valve gear on number 7 was out of wack and required the front low-pressure cylinder on the engineer's side to be disassembled.  And the airbrake line on number71 needed replacement.  All of this work needed to be completed by noon because the crew was scheduled to work on diesels at the "diesel lubritorium" located south of Bedford Forrest after lunch. 
   Will Fixer, the A&S Railroad's Head of Maintenance, was fit to be tied.  Two of his mechanics had called in sick this morning and he was short on hostlers.  Fortunately, "Tater" Cartwright was present for duty. (Many of the residents of the City of Tahope work for the A&S and most have last names describing medieval occupations.)  "Tater" never missed a day of work and was an up and comer on the maintenance crew. Fixer put him to work disassembling the cylinder on the 2-6-6-2, while the only hostler on duty banked the fires on the other engines spotted in the roundhouse. (See the previous photo of Tater on page 11 working on Number 7.)
   Occasionally, the roundhouse floor becomes so littered with dirt, grease, grime, and metal shavings that someone has to take the time to "sweep up."  So it was today, and Fixer, being short of help, decided to give a day's wages to Short Stack if he would lend a hand.  Short Stack, who was still a little hung over from the wine he swiped from Fishmouth's bindle, wrapped his hands around the handle of the broom Fixer gave him and started sweeping up the debris on the floor and loading it into a barrel. 
   Wouldn't you know it, about that time number 835 limped into the service yard with a broken spring hanger.  She was scheduled to power freight number 48 from Sanlando yard up to Summit at 12:30 so repairing her was a priority.  Unfortunately, all nine of the stalls in the roundhouse were full and replacing a broken spring hanger requires equipment that is not available on the A&S RIP track.
   Fixer looked for a hostler to move number 71 back out of stall number 5, but none was available.  His eyes fell upon Short Stack, who eagerly volunteered to back the engine out of the roundhouse.  Short Stack had been hired as a day laborer in the past and Fixer figured he knew how to back a switcher out of a roundhouse stall. Fixer gave Short Stack the go-ahead and drove to the freight station in Tahope to catch the local mixed train to Sanlando.
   Short Stack was in his glory!  Imagine, giving him the helm of a real live steam locomotive even for the short distance from the roundhouse to the turntable!  Short Stack enthusiastically yanked the whistle cord for three short blasts of the three-chime whistle and set the reverse lever in the back corner.  He cracked the throttle for a wisp of steam.  The engine slowly began moving towards the turntable. 
   The turntable operator, Tony Baker, noticed the engine backing towards him but the turntable was not in position for it to move onto the table.  So, Baker hollered to Short Stack to hold tight where he was until the table was ready.  Short Stack applied the engine brake and got nothing.  The air hose had not been repaired.  Slowly the engine crept back towards the pit and it became apparent that Baker could not get the table in place in time.  The rear truck on the tender dropped into the pit, which stopped the engine's progress. It also blocked number 835 from access to the roundhouse and it blocked any movement of the other eight engines.

Short Stack, visibly shaken over the mishap, rounded up two other helpers to remedy the situation.  Tom Tanner, the assistant roundhouse foreman, telephoned Will Fixer, who was about to board the Sanlando Local mixed train to supervise the make-up of freight number 48 and somehow substitute another engine for that run if 835 wasn't repaired on time.  Tanner told Fixer that Sort Stack had backed the rear truck of 71's tender into the pit, which made Fixer furious.  Tanner tried to calm the situation by reporting that Short Stack and two other workers were rigging the hand derrick to re-rail the tender.  Fixer boarded the local and proceeded to the station at Sanlando.  He decided to place a call to the roundhouse and find out how things were going.  Tanner reported that the hand derrick was now in the pit.  He suggested that they send for the steam derrick.  At that, the pressure in Fixer's boiler rose to the danger point.  He ordered, "Leave the steam derrick where it is.  No more room in the pit!" 
   Short Stack managed to hike it back to the Bottoms before Fixer returned on the local, thereby avoiding any unpleasantness.  And number 71 was back in the roundhouse for completion of the repairs to its air line by the next morning.  It's all in a day's work.   

PRR Modeler

Another great story Bill about "A day in the life"
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Yepper, twas a busy day all around the roundhouse and on the A&S RR.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

BandOGuy

Thanks for the explanation Judge.
When I first saw the photo, I suspected a well known Florida speed freak had attempted an Evil Knievel type jump over the turntable pit. Aiming to put the loco in the proper stall with the brakes fully applied in mid air, he failed to allow for a sudden cross wind, and, as they say, the rest is history.
I like your version better. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

GPdemayo

Hey Bill.....Ole' No. 7 might be fast, but she sure can pull a bunch of timber.....great steamer.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: BandOGuy on April 06, 2019, 10:35:48 PM
Thanks for the explanation Judge.
When I first saw the photo, I suspected a well known Florida speed freak had attempted an Evil Knievel type jump over the turntable pit. Aiming to put the loco in the proper stall with the brakes fully applied in mid air, he failed to allow for a sudden cross wind, and, as they say, the rest is history.
I like your version better. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Not in this life with any A&S engine BandOGuy.....I have never had a Death Wish.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

cuse

I've missed a lot of the recent SBG meets since I moved to the coast...The Judge's accounts here might be just as good as the real thing (minus the BBQ)  ;D

John

Judge

I have received a suggestion that the paint job on Number 7 is blue in color instead of black.  It must have been old Kodachrome film that decayed before developing.  I have corrected the color (sort of). 

Thanks for the comments.

jerryrbeach

Quote from: Judge on April 07, 2019, 04:12:55 PM
I have received a suggestion that the paint job on Number 7 is blue in color instead of black.  It must have been old Kodachrome film that decayed before developing.  I have corrected the color (sort of). 

Thanks for the comments.

Judge,

That's interesting.  I thought the engine was blue because it reflected the state that Greg has been in ever since he found out that #7 was his permanent engine assignment by A&S management to solve his "need for speed".
Jerry

Judge

Jerry - A&S management is considering limiting Greg to speed step 25 for all A&S locomotives, owned or leased.  This will allow him to B. Y. O. L. (bring your own loco) if he wants to speed.  It's on the agenda for next Saturday morning. 

GPdemayo

Quote from: Judge on April 07, 2019, 09:51:14 PM
Jerry - A&S management is considering limiting Greg to speed step 25 for all A&S locomotives, owned or leased.  This will allow him to B. Y. O. L. (bring your own loco) if he wants to speed.  It's on the agenda for next Saturday morning.

25.....that's a bit drastic, isn't it.....how about 45?  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Quote from: GPdemayo on April 08, 2019, 08:20:12 AM

Don't worry.  You should be able to adjust the speed tables in the decoder to make 25 max out the engine.   ;D  ;D  ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on April 08, 2019, 12:39:16 PM

Don't worry.  You should be able to adjust the speed tables in the decoder to make 25 max out the engine.   ;D ;D ;D

Great lateral thinking.....thanks Bob.  8) 8) 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

jimmillho

Quote from: GPdemayo on April 09, 2019, 10:46:11 AM
Quote from: ReadingBob on April 08, 2019, 12:39:16 PM

Don't worry.  You should be able to adjust the speed tables in the decoder to make 25 max out the engine.   ;D ;D ;D

Great lateral thinking.....thanks Bob.  8) 8) 8)

OH, OH.

Jim

Judge

4-13-19
The Saturday session of the A&S began on time a little before 0830 hours.  Oh! Happy Days!  The Baldwin Sharks are back from being refitted with TCS WOW Sound Baldwin decoders!  They also have the new CTS bass enhanced speakers, which are an improvement over the previous models.  The Sharks were put through their paces powering a 21 car coal hopper train with a Pennsy Mae West Caboose.  The Sharks sounded like they were going to self destruct any second, just like the prototypes, but they did not leak oil, at least not as far as we can tell.  The Sharks rose up the Ovalix from the Bottoms without incident at speed step 25, notch 3, and made a tour of the Midlands, including the City of Tahope and the steam engine facility.  Then the Sharks tackled the steady 15 grade from the Midlands to the Summit without incident. 

Curt Webb and Greg Demayo arrived on the property around 10:00 a.m. Speedball Greg wanted to run the sharks but had trouble holding them to lugging speed.  We took lunch at Smokey Bones as usual .  We continued to run the Sharks and did a little switching with #7.  [We broke for lunch at Smokey Bones, as usual.  After lunch, the new SAL E6 A-B lash-up took some turns around Summit.  The Citrus Scheme paint job is really stunning!  It was not rerouted down to the midlands for fear of collision with the Sharks, which were by now being run at speed step 50 by Greg.

This Week's Story

A number of the higher paying jobs on the Atlantic & Southern, such as engineers, foremen, master mechanics and superintendents, are held by folks of Irish decent who migrated to Florida from railroads in New England and the Mid-West.  They are hard-working, hard-drinking sorts who provide the kind of labor a railroad must have to be a first-class operation. We will get a glimpse of these characters from time to time, beginning with this week's story of Irish close friendship and brotherhood.  It involves a bottle of "Fine Irish Whiskey," which, I'm told by Dr. Google, goes for up to $1100.00 a bottle.            

The Bottle of Fine Irish Whiskey

Well, the Track Maintenance Foreman, Patrick O'Malley and his pal, Michael O'Toole, the Assistant Superintendent of Civil Engineering, had a busy week on the Atlantic & Southern.

The gandy dancers laid a lot of track and installed a number of switches in the freight yard at the Summit.  Being Irish, they drank some, and when work was finally over on Friday afternoon, O'Malley suggested the two of them repair to the pub located in the downtown Tahope.

Once they arrived at the pub, they ordered two pints of "black and tan" (a mixture of Guiness Stout and Bass Ale) and proceeded to relax.  They drank one, then two, and lost count of the number of pints they consumed.  As the bartender was about to close the place, O'Toole put his arm around his buddy's shoulder and said, "O'Malley, yuv ben a fine friend of mine all these years and I have a proposition to make ye.  Let's you and me go and buy a bottle of fine Irish whiskey and whichever one of us dies first, the other one will celebrate the passing of the dear departed by pouring the whiskey over his grave."  "Good idea," said O'Malley, and they made the purchase.
   As luck would have it, O'Malley passed away not long after the agreement was made.  O'Toole waited until the first full moon after O'Malley's funeral and approached the gravesite, which was covered with fresh grass.  He pulled out the bottle of fine Irish whiskey from his coat pocket, removed the cork and said, "Ah, Pattie, me darlin', I'm here to fulfill the pledge we made some weeks ago, and I'm going to pour this bottle of fine Irish whiskey over your grave.  But Pattie, I hope ye don't mind if I run it through me kidneys first."