Penn Mechanical Scratchbuild

Started by SteveCuster, September 08, 2020, 11:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveCuster

Hey everyone,

I finished a little scratchbuild for my layout. I bought a Sewalls Foundry and Wilfred Brambell casting sets from Railroadkits. I used some of the stonework from those kits as the base. I also used a few of the doors and windows. Its not really based off any building or model in particular. I did use the length of the stone walls as a limit to the overall dimensions of the main building.

I already set it in place on the layout. I need to finish the scenery around it of course. Im not sure where all the castings came from. The crane is from Wiseman. The pulley over the door is from BEST.

The front is pretty difficult to see from the front of the layout so I kept it pretty simple. The road still needs some work to cover the seams and tie it all together. The sidewall is a metal casting from FSM Brambell I believe.

This is how the whole scene is starting to unfold.

Thanks for checking in.

Steve Custer

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, Steve!

I'm sure George will be pleased to see his kit walls being used as a catalyst for your imagination.  Layout looks fantastic too!

Cheers, Mark.

ReadingBob

What an excellent scratchbuild Steve!   :D  Looks great on the layout.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Steve

Great looking structure - it's amazing what can start with a few of those wonderful castings.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Zephyrus52246

Nice work.  Beautiful structure.

Jeff

PaulS

A wonderful structure Steve that looks right at home in the scene.   Love all the elevations you are introducing as well, very well done and draws the viewer into all of these mini-scenes !!

Steve, can you share with us what you used and how you achieved the clapboard wall coloring on Penn Mechanical.
Thanks very much,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Dennis Bourey

That's scratch built? You guys are Full of amazing talent here........Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

Steve,

Ditto to all the other comments, wonderful stuff.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

bparrish

woooooooooow

That is soooo cool.

Great detail..

Thanx

Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

fsmcollector67

Steve,
Beautiful work as always...

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

tom.boyd.125

Steve,
Outstanding modeling !!!
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln