2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

John, I can't get enough of looking at this beautiful structure. You've done a superb job in all respects.
--Opa George

S&S RR

Quote from: Opa George on March 16, 2020, 05:29:23 PM
John, I can't get enough of looking at this beautiful structure. You've done a superb job in all respects.
--Opa George

George

Thank you so much for the kind words.  I made a little more progress today, I'm adding the coal chutes and detail castings in preparation for glueing the structures to the base board for final detailing.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

The track has been glued down to the baseboard - next step is to glue the structures down to the baseboard.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The FSM icing platform is on my build short list and will go directly behind the coaling tower. The John Allen water tower FSM kit is also planed for this area.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I started to add the coal chutes and hardware to the main structure. After installation and weathering the structure will be ready to mount to the baseboard.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Opa George

John, those coal chutes look exceptionally good.  Metal or plastic detail parts?  How did you color them?
--Opa George

bparrish

John............

That build is terrific.   You have aged wood figured out.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Quote from: Opa George on March 21, 2020, 03:04:30 PM
John, those coal chutes look exceptionally good.  Metal or plastic detail parts?  How did you color them?
--Opa George

George

Thank you for the complements. The chutes are Georges metal castings.  So far they have been primed with a flat brown primer and then three shades of rust colored chalk.  I have some touch up to do with the rust and then need to add the coal dust. I decided to wait until I installed the pins and chain to do the coloring.  I will be using the same technique.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on March 21, 2020, 04:06:31 PM
John............

That build is terrific.   You have aged wood figured out.

Thanx
Bob

Bob

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the kind words. I'm putting the final details on and will be mounting this to the baseboard in the next couple of days.
John Siekirk

cuse

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

What can I say but what a beautiful job.

Karl