Bar Mills Seckler's Cold Storage Background Flat for the A&S

Started by ReadingBob, December 26, 2019, 02:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

After I add the bracing to the walls I weigh them down for a few minutes until the glue grabs.  I have few marble blocks scavenged from old bowling trophies I use for this.

The bracing was squared up with one end of the wall and overhangs the other end.  I trim it to fit by flipping the wall over and cutting it with a single edge razor blade.

Once the walls have been braced I started finishing them.  First a coat of the Hunterline Light Gray Weathering Mix (being careful not to get any on the stucco finish lower wall section.

Next up I painted the clapboard walls with PollyScale Reefer White.  Normally I'd thin it a bit my dipping my brush in water then the paint but the last few bottle of PollyScale I bought were pretty darn thin to start with so I didn't bother doing that.

I then 'dry sponged' some Folk Art Dove Gray onto the walls.  It's really hard to see this light gray color on the white walls but it does make a difference.  It's supposed to represent places where the white paint peeled away and the primer beneath is showing.  I first dab the sponge in some paint and then on a piece of scrap paper to remove most of the paint.  I'm not trying to paint the walls with the sponge.  I'm just trying to speckle a little bit of paint onto the walls.

Then I repeated the 'dry sponging' with some Folk Art Khaki Tan to represent places where the wood was showing through the paint.

More in a moment... ;)

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Next up I added some nail holes using a steel straight edge and a ponce wheel.

After the nail holes were added I beat up the walls a bit by lifting individual clapboards here and there by slipping a chisel blade beneath them and, in some cases, twisting it slightly to break a small piece loose or off entirely.

I cut out the big sign for the front wall a little bit oversized in preparation for distressing it.  A nice touch, the kit comes with two signs in case you mess one up.   ;)

I start by sanding the back of the sign to make the paper as thin as I can get it.  Be careful not to sand through it or tear it!

I used fine steel wool on the front of the sign, scrubbing from the top down, to take the edge of the black ink and lighten it up just a wee bit.

Jumping around (I'm doing a lot of that on this build) I next prepped the roofing material.  I first sprayed it with a rattle can paint (don't have the can handy right now that) that's a chalkboard black.  Then I used pan pastels to turn it gray.  More on this later when I apply the roofing material.

After installing the windows I tried using the precut glazing but found it didn't quite fit to my satisfaction and required a little trimming so I immediately aborted and used MicroScale Industries Kristal Klear for the glazing instead.  There are other glues (e.g. Canopy Glue) that can be used for this but I like working with the KK.  Working from the back just draw it across the opening to form a film.

More in a moment... ;)

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I painted the back of the clapboard walls black with a cheap craft store acrylic.  I should have done that after I installed the bracing and before I did anything else but I forget.  Not a problem.  Just had to be a little more careful because the windows were already in place.  Next I added window shades made up of a sheet of printer paper painted light green on both sides and trimmed to fit over the window openings.

A little glue around the window opening first.

Then put the shade in place.  Vary the height from window to window a little bit.  No need for them all to be drawn exactly the same amount.

Back to the roofing material.  I cut the sheets into 9 scale foot lengths.  I'm experimenting a bit with the roof because I know where Tom plans on putting this structure (on the summit) the roofing material isn't going to be visible except to visitors who are 7+ feet tall.  :o  I applied 3M Transfer tape to the cardstock roof first even though the material include in the kit is peel and stick.  I've never found the 'stick' of the material included in some kits to be good in the long run.  I applied the strips in a pattern by offsetting the end seam each row by 1/2 of that of the adjoining row.

Pitch was then added to all the seams.  This is simply white glue mixed with PollyScale Grimy Black paint.

When I glued the walls together I had some joints where the stucco walls met.  I went back and stippled on more paint/Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty to cover up the joint.  I protected the brick patches and other things with Blue Painters tape while I was doing this.

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

After gluing the large sign to the front wall with a thinned out white glue I dry sponge some of the same cream color I used on the stucco walls over the large sign to age it a bit more.

Next I added the trim along the top of the walls.  This took a fair amount of time.  There are a couple of pieces of strip wood at the top of each wall and I mitered the corners for a clean fit.

More trim being added.

For the stucco walls one needs to cut a bunch of the these 3/32" inch square by 1/8" long pieces.  I used my NWSL chopper for this.

I used the strip wood I was cutting to clear the piece I just cut from underneath the blade.  I learned the hard way not to use my finger for this.   :P

These little pieces get glued into notches cut into the top of the stucco walls.  After they were glued in place I stained the ends and then touched them up with Reefer White followed by A&I to finish them.

That's all for today!  Thanks for following along.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

rpdylan

Picked up this kit at Springfield,,,, thank you for the build thread,,, looks great!
Bob C.

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

ReadingBob

Quote from: S&S RR on February 10, 2020, 08:22:09 AM
Another great build and build thread Bob.

Thanks John!  This one's been a little challenging but a lot of fun too.  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: PRR Modeler on February 10, 2020, 08:53:30 AM
Looks like a great build Bob.

Thanks butty!  Making progress on this one.  A lot of vents and other assorted goodies to add yet.  Those should really spice it up.  ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: rpdylan on February 10, 2020, 09:41:06 AM
Picked up this kit at Springfield,,,, thank you for the build thread,,, looks great!

I'm looking forward to seeing your build when you get around to it.  It's a neat structure for sure.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 10, 2020, 11:21:15 AM
Bob,

Looking very good and great tutorial as well.

Tom ;D

Thanks Tom!  I think it'll look good on the Summit.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Jerry

Looks great Bob. Love the way you explain everything.

Oh so that's what happens to old bowling trophies!!  :)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ReadingBob

Quote from: Jerry on February 11, 2020, 11:46:02 AM
Looks great Bob. Love the way you explain everything.

Oh so that's what happens to old bowling trophies!!  :)

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!  Now if I could only figure out what to do with old bowling balls.  I haven't thrown one in two years and it doesn't look like I'll be doing it again anytime soon.   :D  I used to be decent at it but not anymore.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net