FSM Hazen Boyd Build

Started by Bobby, September 20, 2016, 05:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby

Much like some of my friends on the forum I have been far too busy at work and at home to find time to play with toy trains. I started FSM's Hazen Boyd a looooong time ago and I have been cleaning out the train room the last few days to get back at it.

This is my first FSM kit build!

Since there are so many build threads going with the challenge why not add another?!??!

I am terrible about documenting my progress so this will be a quick and dirty build thread in the style of the great Postal Karl.

I primed the castings with a rattle can of Camo Khaki and a flat black.

Bobby - THE Goat!

Bobby

Then I added A&I to the walls and dry brushed the walls with white craft paint, added signs and details and then assembled the walls.
Bobby - THE Goat!

Bobby

I added the roof, shingles and some more weathering.

The last photo shows the main structure glued down to the diorama base.

When I get a chance tonight I will add the latest and greatest photos.

Bobby - THE Goat!

S&S RR

It looks great Bobby.  I'm glad you decided to join us.  I well be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hi Bobby:

I built the first kit. You are off to a good start. Looks great so far. 
Karl

MAP

Looking good.  I like your weathering on the building.  I'll be following along.
Mark

ACL1504

Bobby,

Really great job. I love the weathering.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

NEMMRRC

Great kit!!! Super build!!!

Jaime

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

fbernard65

Bobby,

Looking very nice.  I love the weathered white.  This is my favorite finish for structures.  Not sure if saw Karl's build and my build of the kit.  Here are the links.

http://modelersforum.com/kit-building/hazen-boyd-final-photos/msg11704/#msg11704
http://modelersforum.com/kit-building/the-hazen-boyd-co-fsm-js17/msg15458/#msg15458

Frank

MASIGMON

Frank,  I had forgot how great & different the 2 different buildsthat you & Karl did. 
If Iam not wrong your was done in the weathered white & Karls done in earth
The one thing I liked in both builds is the Tar Paper roofs
In Georges kit I believe it calls for Weathered black tar paper over the coal area.  The black does not help bring out the building details.
Your green fits right in with the traditional white building
Karls had a red shade which looks good with the earth color structure

What shingles did karl use with his structure.  They do not look like Campbell also like the Green color shingles
Bobby, Not to overpower your build. I do like your structure alot.  Look at Karl/Frank build there is alot of color detail to work from

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville

Polux

Yep!! Looking very good so far ;)