UP South Seattle Subdivision

Started by Bobby, September 23, 2016, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby

Greetings folks,

Many moons ago I posted a thread of my small shelf layout on the "old" forum.

Since that time I have packed up and moved and then got hit with the Cuse and ACL1504 tear down and rebuild bug. I rewired everything and removed all of the Atlas code 100 track and replaced it with Atlas code 83 track. I also didn't replace the entire track plan, I thought there was just too much track for a small siding. Then I added an NCE DCC system, ballasted the track and added scenery.

Oh yeah, I also decided to switch from an early '50's-'60's era timeframe to a modern era layout set in the gritty industrial switching area in South Seattle where you can still see old brick structures with old signage on them serving rail customers today. 

I added a small staging area, updated some of the signage to present day signs and added everyone's favorite... graffiti. Hey, even my modeling hero George Sellios has graffiti on the fabulous F&SM! It just looks different than today's graffiti.

I still need to weather the cars and engines and add more details. I'm unsure of what to do with the area that has the Rusty Radiator kit in the photo's. I have been debating on putting a more modern structure there. So, this is about 75% complete and looking at the pics I need to do something about the lighting in the room as well.

I am learning about operations, Lance Mindheim has a lot of good info on running ops sessions on small layouts. Just goes to show that anyone can have a layout even if you don't have a lot of space.

Bobby - THE Goat!

tct855

Bobby,
            Looking good my friend, Glad to hear you're downsizing the rail code. Glad you got the bug!  Look forward the next pictures of the progress.
                                                                                                                                                                                          Thanx Thom...

Zephyrus52246

Nice look with the industrial structures. 

Jeff

S&S RR

Bobby

Looks great - I can't wait to see where your next expansion takes you.  Thanks for sharing it with us.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

cuse

Nice job. Great weathering on the buildings. Their height really conveys the big city or maybe, "backside" of the big city  ;) . Looks great!

John

ACL1504

Bobby,

I remember this layout and I'm sorry you got the bug. Well, maybe not as improving a layout is not all bad.

I like the gentle curve of the track and the structure line. As John mentioned the height give of them gives the layout a sense of belonging.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com