Build Challenge 2016 - ITLA Scale Models DV Ross & Co

Started by Bobby, September 25, 2016, 10:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby

Here we go folks,

For the Build Challenge 2016 I will work on ITLA Scale Models DV Ross & Co structure. I am perusing the instructions and will get started on painting this week.
Bobby - THE Goat!

SteveCuster

I'll be following along on this one. I purchased this kit at the Expo but I've haven't seen one built. I bought it because the detail work on the brick was very nice.

-Steve
Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hi:

Saw this at the EXPO also didn't get one though. Should be an interesting build. Will be following along.

Karl

rpdylan

You should like building this, i was impressed with the engineering of the kit. I didnt follow the painting instructions, opting instead for doing primer and light sponging, AI, powders.
Bob C.

MAP

I also bought this kit at the Expo, so you know I'll be following along on this build.
Mark

Vilius

Bobby,

I got this one at the EXPO as well. I am really curious to see what will you do with it.

Vilius

Bobby

Thanks for the follows Gents!

After going over the instructions I think I am going to try painting the brick following the methods outlined on Monster Model Works website rather the method suggested by the instructions.

The instructions don't go into great detail on how to paint the structure but there are tutorials on ITLA's website that can be found here: https://itlascalemodels.com/how-to

It's been a while since I built a brick structure so I needed to peruse the techniques out there. The MMW's method just seems to make more sense to me and can be found here: http://www.monstermodelworks.com/_download_files/BrickPaint.pdf

More to come...

Bobby - THE Goat!

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bobby

I am back!  ;D

I just grabbed a red rattle can and sprayed the walls. More to follow...

Bobby - THE Goat!

Twopoint2

Bobby

Looks like it will be a nice build, keep us posted.

Bobby

Ok, so I decided to deviate from both painting/weathering techniques I mentioned earlier on.

I sprayed the walls with Krylon Ultra Flat Red Oxide Primer. To add brick color variation, I randomely "dry dabbed" the walls with 3 different craft paints with a sponge... Sort of like dry brushing but using a sponge instead. I used Craftsmart Terra Cotta, Ceramcoat Burnt Umber and Craftsmart Burnt Sienna for the dry dabbing.

When it looked good to me, I sprayed the walls with Dullcoat and then dry dabbed again, then sprayed with Dullcoat.

The bottom of the structure has a stone looking base so I lightly painted that with Ceramcoat Rain Grey. It looked better to me when I dry brushed it on which left the red base coat between the stones. I then repeated the dry dabbing technique with the same colors mentioned above but added Craftsmart Tan to the mix as well. I considered attempting John's (S&S RR) technique on this area since it looks awesome but I am lazy.  ;D

Next, I added multiple washes of Ceramcoat Rain Grey to dull it all down and give the look of mortar between the bricks/stones.

That is where I am at today!

Bobby - THE Goat!

Zephyrus52246

Nice job on the brickwork.  I built one of their kits years ago and it was not easy.  They had "zippered" edges which didn't look good when finished.  I think they've changed the way they make the kits and cover the corners.  Interested to see how yours turns out.

Jeff

SteveCuster

The brick color looks great. Interested to see how this turns out.
Steve Custer