2018 Winter Build Challenge Old Skool FSM #25 Branchline Water Tower

Started by Bobby, January 06, 2018, 01:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby

I've been a guilty hoarder of FSM kits over the years. I finally built my first FSM kit about a year ago with the Hazen Boyd kit http://modelersforum.com/kit-building/fsm-hazen-boyd-build/

So, the build challenge seemed like a perfect opportunity to give one of George's old skool smaller kits a try.

I perused the contents and it appears everything is there after all these years. It appears that whomever owned this kit previously had taken some measurements for future placement and noted them on the side of the box. I hope to build the kit that would have made the prior owner proud. These techniques are a bit different than what I am used to but it's funny, some things just don't change or come en vogue over time.
Bobby - THE Goat!

Bobby

Bobby - THE Goat!

Bobby

I mentioned earlier that some things don't change much with this stuff, and other things come en vogue. The brick walls are basically a thick precut cardboard with printed brick paper glued or taped on. When I saw this, it totally reminded me of one of my favorite modelers, Lance Mindheim (http://lancemindheim.com/), who does some fantastic work with creating structures, details and streets using photos glued to styrene or foam core.

Anyhow, instead of glueing the brick paper one, I used 3M Transfer tape.... 
Bobby - THE Goat!

Raymo

Thanks for bringing and old school FSM build to the challenge. I have a couple of the older FSM kits that I want to build with some newer updates. Could be the next challenge...

S&S RR

Bobby

It's going to be fun to see where this kit takes you. I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

Bobby,

Looking forward to the build. Er, what you have left of it that is.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dave K.

Riding along...looking forward to seeing one of these vintage kits come together.👍🏻

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Looking really good so far Bobby!   :)

I, too, am happy to see one of the older FSM kits represented.  Great choice for the challenge. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Mark Dalrymple

Nice to see an old classic, Bobby.

I'll be stopping in to see your progress.

Cheers, Mark.