The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

I think it looks better with the minimal striping as well. 

Jeff

NKP768

ACL1504

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 13, 2020, 01:27:01 AM
That looks much better, Tom.

I just figured it was another US thing, although I couldn't remember seeing it when driving on your roads.  I do remember driving on a lot of concrete roads with an amazing amount of expansion cracks painted with black pitch.  This was in the Colorado plateau area - especially the Navajo Nation.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

Thank you, honesty, I've seen it all different ways here. Not sure why I was so locked into doing what I did.

Tom ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on February 13, 2020, 07:48:09 AM
Hey Tom:

Looks just great. I always enjoy seeing pictures of the work you do on your RR. Keep up the goods work.

karl

Karl,

Thanks, much appreciated. More pictures are coming for sure.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on February 13, 2020, 09:05:49 AM
Tom great job.  I like this version of the striping better to.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you and I agree, this version is definitely better.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 13, 2020, 10:56:40 AM

Tom,

FWIW, some research I did revealed that edge striping on roadways was in its infancy in the early 50's, with use primarily on highways or parkways.  Not sure exactly the era you are modeling.  Anyway, just a long way of saying I prefer the road as it is now with the simple center stripe.

Jerry,

I'm modeling the late 40's to early 50's so it could go either way. This does look much better.

I think the short sections of road with edge stripping is fine as shown below. The section I just changed is approximately 14 feet in length. Edge stripping was just overkill on the road. Heck, I guess I could say it was road kill.

Suwannee River Lagoon area -

County Road 46 at Caldwell Junction -

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jbvb on February 13, 2020, 01:49:12 PM
In present-day NH, state highways get edge striping, or striping to separate the travel lane from the shoulder if there is one.  Smaller towns' roads usually don't even have a center line. In 1960s MA, the city didn't use edge striping on any of the streets, and I'm fairly sure there wasn't any on US 1, which didn't have much of a shoulder.  I-95 did have a stripe between the slow lane and the breakdown lane.

James,

I was actually going to model a shoulder on the road edge but it takes space. I opted for the ditch look instead. Appreciate your input and information.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on February 13, 2020, 04:07:55 PM
I think it looks better with the minimal striping as well. 

Jeff

Jeff,

I agree and I think on my next road venture I'll try to model some gravel on the shoulder.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I finished the fascia on the second level. I'll have some photos tomorrow afternoon. To tired now.

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

WOW!!!! Tom, I can't believe how fast you go.......Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

Quote from: DennisBourey on February 13, 2020, 06:21:29 PM
WOW!!!! Tom, I can't believe how fast you go.......Dennis

Dennis,

I just have my own pace. Fast one day and slow the next and that cycle repeats it self, slow one day and fast the next. 8) 8)

Tom   ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Judge

I wonder when stripes were first applied to the edges of the roads?  Seems like I remember roads without stripes well into the '50s or maybe the early 6o's. 

Ah, yes - Seri just told me that the first striping of roads in the U. S. was in 1911 in Michigan. They got the idea from a leaky milk truck. The stripes were used as intersection stop signs beginning in 1926.  In the 1950's, yellow lines made their appearance.  The dashed lines in the road are 10' long.  It's government regulation.
DOT uses 1.6 million gallons of road paint per year. 

I can't find when the edge stripes appeared.  But since Tahope County is set in 1950-1951, it is probably ahead of its time with road striping.  "Paving the Way to Progress!" ought to be Tahope County's motto.

deemery

It's my recollection the standard is 10' dashes with 15' separation.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to