CCK Conocoheague Coal and Ice build

Started by nycjeff, September 11, 2020, 06:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

The new structure for my layout is this CCK kit. This is my first kit from CCK. I had a few issues while building, but it all came together well in the end. I chose this because I liked the look of the building and it fits in well with my layout look, which is rural Ohio in the late 1940's. I didn't build this as a coal and ice structure, but rather as a beer and ice business. So, let's get started.

This is a picture of the kit box.

A picture of the box contents

More contents- the signs and roofing materials

The walls and bundles of stripwood. I cleaned up  the wood walls by moving them gently along a piece of sandpaper to insure smooth edges

Using the proper stripwood I braced the walls per the instructions and also added extra bracing at the gable ends for additional roof support later

Using craft paint French Wine color, I painted the doors, windows and corner trim pieces after making sure there was no flash along the edges. I used small files to clean up the little bit necessary.

That's it for now. more later

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Raymo

I've always liked this kit, it reminds me of an old roadside store here in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. The building still had the old 50's era Coca Cola signage on it up to a couple of years ago. I'll be following your build.

ACL1504

Jeff,

I've built several of Jeff's CCK kits and liked them all. I'll be following along on this one. The design can also fit in any southern town.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Thank you Curt, Raymo and Tom for looking in.

Here I've hit the main building walls with and AI solution. You can also see some of the painted trim pieces.

The stained wood walls and painted doors and windows are seen here. I painted the doors and windows with full strength French Wine craft paint along with the corner trim pieces.

I've dry brushed the wood walls with a craft paint Warm White to achieve a peeled paint look. I didn't want a derelict looking building, just one that was in reasonably good shape that may need a paint job. Winters in Ohio take their toll on wood buildings.

I then dry brushed the doors and windows with the same Warm White color to also give them a worn look. After the walls are assembled and the doors and windows are installed I will give all of it another coat of the AI stain.

Another view of the dry brushed wood walls. I'm pretty happy with the look of the walls at this point.

Another view of the dry brushed doors and windows. The tall front entry doors and windows are visible. This front entry area of the kit was where I started to have some issues with the instructions and the materials provided with the kit, but I will get into all that next time. To this point the kit was going together as expected. That's it for now, more later

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

GPdemayo

Neat looking kit Jeff.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nycjeff

Thank you Greg for looking in.

Here I've started to mask off the lower wood walls with blue painters tape and dry brushed the French Wine trim color. I did not attempt a full coat because I want to achieve the worn paint look. After wall assembly I plan on using another coat of AI solution and then some weathering chalks.

Another view of the lower wood wall being painted with the trim color.

Here I've installed a couple of windows on the front wall and also the corner trim pieces. The kit instructions did not call for the trim around the front entry wall space. I used scale 4x6 stripwood for this

I've included this photo of the instructions because this is where I had to begin to change the build due to the materials included in the kit. The upper right photo shows the wood deck under the front wall from the back of the front entry door bay out to include an open area in front of the front porch area and also the middle left photo shows the foundation extending from the main building's footprint out under the front landing area. In fact, the wood deck floor piece included in the kit was not long enough to do what the photo shows. It was too short to have an area in front of the front porch. Also, the foundation included in the kit was only large enough to fit the main building's footprint and not long enough to extend under the front landing area. These were not critical enough to me to stop the build, but I did have to make some adjustments.

This photo shows the foundation glued to a thin styrene base. It is glued down to the base so that it fits the main building's footprint. I sanded the angle corners, but found that to fit the building I had to leave open spaces at the corners. I filled these with joint compound and let them dry before painting the foundation. Also, notice the space in front of the foundation that I've marked with pencil. This is the space that the previously mentioned front landing would have been located.

It was now time to begin assembling the front wall, but since the front area wood deck piece was not large enough I needed to have another surface to glue the front entry bay doors and windows too. I cut a piece of styrene and two wood braces to form a ceiling which gave me an upper surface to glue the doors too.

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Here is the front wall with the front entry doors and side window walls glued in.

This photo shows the upper and lower front porch structure in it's place in front of the front wall. This sub-assembly went together according to the instructions. The posts and beams were painted with the trim color and the short wall panels were first stained with AI and then dry brushed with theWarm White wall color. Next the wall assembly can begin. That's it for now, more later

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

WigWag Workshop

Looking Good! Looking forward to seeing this kit come together. I have this on my build list, but was thinking of making it a Hardware store.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

nycjeff

Thank you Steven. This is a very versatile kit which could be used for any number of businesses.

Here are all the wood walls for the main building, painted and doors and windows installed with corner trim glued on. I didn't use the kit supplied gable end vent/ windows, instead using a painted piece of wood siding material. I liked the partially open windows on the side with the large door, this will allow me to attempt a detail that I've noticed on several other kits which is exposed window shades.

Three walls assembled and 2x4 stripwood trim added to the line between the wall colors. This is something I did on my previous Rohlen Welding build and I like the look. I think it gives a more finished look. The large Ice for Sale sign was found on the internet and I thought it looked appropriate for my late 1940's era. Window shades are brown construction paper and you can see my attempt at exposed shades on the back of the opposite wall. I cut the shade in two long vertical pieces and just pulled them out of the open windows. I've started to add brown weathering chalks to the exterior walls. It's hard to see in the photos, but I did cut and lift several clapboard pieces for a more distressed look.

Here's the other side wall with the exposed window shades. I'm happy with my first attempt at this small detail which I think gives a nice look to the wall.

I've added the front wall and you can see the front entry bay doors attached to my improvised ceiling. You can also see the window shades and additional bracing that I added. As Tom (ACL1504) likes to say- you can never have enough bracing. I don't need the bracing for humidity here in the desert, but I like the stability the additional bracing gives to the structure.

Here you can see that I have cut the piece of kit supplied wood flooring to fit inside the front porch perimeter. This is the end result of a small problem that arose from the piece not being big enough, but this was an easily fix and I like the look.

Here is the front wall with the front porch deck installed and the upper roof glued on. The kit supplied roof card was not big enough to achieve the look I wanted, so I cut a new larger one out of cardboard. It's not visible, but I glued a 4x6 piece of stripwood to the gable end portion of the wall to give the high end of the upper roof a glueing surface. The roll roofing is left over from a previous build, it's just sprayed with rattle can Camo with the green tint. I wanted the upper roof to cover the entire upper porch area, that's why the kit supplied roof card was not big enough. In the instructions and pictures it looks like stipwood railing covers were used on the tops of the short walls, but I just painted the tops of these walls with the trim color. I made the sign on my computer and glued it to a thin piece of styrene and then glued that to the upper facade. I'm still learning how to make signs on the computer and it's a fun process to experiment with. That's it for now, more later.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

ReadingBob

Following along Jeff!  Interesting structure.  I've build a few CCK kits and have a few in the stash as well.  I really like them.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

nycjeff

Thank you Bob and Curt, I'm enjoying this build. I've had a couple of problems but that's what makes it all so interesting. If everything went together easily and quickly it would be boring. I would say however that CCK kits, at least this one, are not for someone who hasn't done  a few wood craftsman kits. There haven't been any problems that could not be solved.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Next up was the small side building. I first sanded the edges to make sure they were square and even, added nail holes with my ponce wheel, lifted a few clapboards with my xacto knife and then applied a coat of AI solution. Since I was building this kit as a beer and ice business, I wanted this small side building to be a type of walk-in cooler/ freezer for the beer and ice.

I assembled the walls and roof using the same techniques as the main building with the same colors. You can see the 2x4 trim board at the wall color separation and the same roll roofing material I used for the upper front porch roof. A fourth wall was not provided with the kit and I did not add one because the side building rests right up against the main building.

I installed a large door from my parts stash to resemble a walk-in cooler type door and attached signs. I found the bagged ice sign on the internet and made the door sign on my computer. I had to enlarge the side man door opening to fit a Tichy door from my stash so that the bottom was level with the soon to be installed outside wood deck.

I glued on 1/8 x 1/4 stripwood painted dark grey to resemble a concrete foundation.

The outside wood deck was framed on the underside and short wood legs were installed. The deck was stained with the AI solution and then weathered with chalks.

The main building foundation was painted with dark grey craft paint and then individual stones were painted to give some texture. That's it for now, more later

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

bparrish

Foundations are often overlooked.

This is cool.

thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?