CCK Conocoheague Coal and Ice build

Started by nycjeff, September 11, 2020, 06:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Great progress Jeff.....what Bob said about the foundations.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Great progress. Looks great. I'm following along.

Karl

nycjeff

Hello Bob, Greg, Curt and Karl, thanks for looking in. The foundation was a nice casting that came with the kit. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I had some issues with the size in relation to the building footprint and with the corners fitting together, but it all came out well with some adjustments. I like foundations on buildings and if they are not provided in the kit I usually add them. Buildings need foundations.

Speaking of foundations, here is the foundation on the base I cut from thin styrene. I prefer this type of base because it makes it easier to blend in the scenery when the kit is placed on the layout. I painted the styrene base with brown craft paint and then sprinkled my ground cover base material on. This base material is just dirt from my yard sifted so that the fine particles are available for use. The larger particles are used for ballast material and other scenery uses. I also sprinkled on some fine turf red and black soil material.

Here is the paper corrugated roofing material supplied with the kit cut into HO scale size roof panels. It is fastened to some cardboard with blue painters tape to get ready for painting.

The roof panels have been sprayed with rattle can aluminum color paint. Several light coats seem to do the trick.

Here I've sponged on several craft paint colors to simulate various stages of rust. I'm still working on my technique for this type of roof, I seem to put on too much  and am trying to achieve a less is more result. Practice makes perfect and I am a long way from videos that I've watched - particularly Jason Jenson's video on this type of roof and threads I've read on this forum. After the building was assembled I used some light grey and AI solution washes and  weathering chalks to soften the look of the roof.

I've prepared the main building roof card by first cutting down the size of the piece provided with the kit- it seemed a little big for my taste. I then cut three cardboard trusses by matching the gable end walls angle and glueing them onto the underside of the roof. I then painted the edges with a light grey craft paint where it will be exposed after assembly and then glued on gable end stripwood that was supplied with the kit painted with the trim color. The ends will be trimmed to fit later

I then glued the roof panels onto the roof card after the roof was attached to the building. I haven't tried the transfer tape method yet, mostly because I have had good luck using wood glue, that and I'm having trouble finding the tape. That's it for now, more later
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

I've added a thin grey paint wash to the roof to try and tone down the vivid colors. Then I will do an AI wash and some weathering chalks

Everything set in place but not glued yet. Roof details have been added and fixtures on the small side building. For the vent on the side wall of the small building I cut and painted a small piece of stripwood as a base and then glued the vent to that. Tried a metal railing/ fence at the edge of the base.

A closer look. This photo shows off the small fixtures above the doors- they are from Tichy. Don't know about the railing/ fence at the side of the base. The main building roof looks better in this picture. This is after the washes.

View of the other side wall and roof and a good view of the stone foundation.

Found some old hedge material in the scenery stash and thought it would look good framing the front entry area. Added steps using the step stringer material included in the kit and added some detail castings to the front porch. Hard to see in this picture but I moved the railing from the edge of the base to the side of the wood deck- seems to make more sense in this location. Also added a ramp in front of the deck using some of the left over material from the front area wood floor material. Stained it with the AI and used some weathering chalks to match the rest of the loading platform. That's it for now, more later

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

View of the rear wall. I'm not doing much here since it won't be visible when I place this structure on my layout. I have added rear steps and a fixture above the door.

I've added a few details in this picture and it gives a better look at the new location of the railing on the deck. I drilled holes in the deck with my pin vise and glued the railing in place. The ramp is also visible.

After adding some more scenic detail I took the structure outside for some natural light pictures.

That's it for now, more later
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

nycjeff

Hello Bob

Thank you...............sir

Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Jeff,

Nicely done. Groovy Jeff puts out some neat kits and designs.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Thank you Curt and Tom for looking in. Here are a few more outside pictures to finish up this thread and one of the structure in it's place on my layout

As I said before, this was my first CCK kit and it did present some challenges, but overall I had a good time building the kit and I am pleased with the end result. I would definitely buy more kits from CCK. My next build will be my first Bar Mills kit and it is the Babcock Boiler kit. I see on the forum that Karl (postalkarl) did a thread earlier this year and he did his usual wonderful job. That's it for this thread, thanks to everybody who looked in.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

WigWag Workshop

Outstanding details, the building really adds to the area.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nycjeff

Thank you Steven and Greg, I had a lot of fun doing this build. It challenged me at times, but I'm pleased with the end result.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Beautiful job on this kit.

Karl