Brass 2-10-2 loco painting and installation of TCS WOW Sound

Started by ACL1504, February 21, 2020, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Prior to removing the boiler, I mentioned I though the can motor was a 25 X 40 mm motor. Well, I was wrong. It is simply a factory installed Canon 20 X 32 mm motor. It looked much larger in the boiler.

It has plenty of pulling power even with the added weight.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also noticed a small repair on the left rear brake shoe. If you look at the other brakes, they are held in place with a small flat head screw. This one is soldered on. I can only assume the screw head broke so the brass brake was soldered in place. I'm leaving this as is.

Now its time to test the mechanism, motor and side rods for any binds or problems.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I placed the loco frame on some foam blocks so the drivers were not touching anything. I then clipped on two wires in order to make a test run.

https://youtu.be/gan47Ncz9lA
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Looks nice!  Why would the DCC controller make a difference in how this loco runs?  Would you have to 'tune' the DCC to get better performance?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on February 27, 2020, 05:11:41 PM
Looks nice!  Why would the DCC controller make a difference in how this loco runs?  Would you have to 'tune' the DCC to get better performance?

dave

Dave,

Thank you.

In analog DC, the current/voltage goes directly from the track to the loco motor. The amount of voltage given through the rheostat determines the smoothness of the start up and running of the loco. the better the power pack, the better the smoothness of the motor.

In DCC the voltage goes from the track to the DCC decoder. The DCC decoder then allows that voltage to pass to the motor. Not sure how it works but it gives the motor a more smoother and consistent voltage. Every single one of my brass locos and Walthers diesels ran much better AFTER the DCC decoder was installed.

I may not have explained it correctly but you get the idea. I'm sure someone will give us the very technical answer starting with how a sun dial works.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 27, 2020, 06:23:38 PM

dave
.....starting with how a sun dial works.....

Tom ;D

.....in the beginning.....

That's all I've got. ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tct855

ACL 1504,
               Wow! what a cool project my friend.  Looking forward to this tutorial for sure (I need a break from life and some modeavation).  BTW- slow down Greg (grin). Thanx Thom...

Rollin

...starting with how a sun dial works...

Tom  ;D

Nine day countdown! Remember to reset your sundials one hour ahead on March 8

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on February 27, 2020, 10:58:51 PM

dave
.....starting with how a sun dial works.....

Tom ;D

.....in the beginning.....

That's all I've got. ::)

Greg,

Well, that is something you don't have!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: tct855 on February 28, 2020, 01:54:49 AM
ACL 1504,
               Wow! what a cool project my friend.  Looking forward to this tutorial for sure (I need a break from life and some modeavation).  BTW- slow down Greg (grin). Thanx Thom...

Thommy,

Thank you my friend. This is going to be a fun project and one I'm not in a hurry to do. This is a "fill in project" meaning one that I'll work on in taking a break from other projects.

Enjoyed our phone conversation this morning.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Rollin on February 28, 2020, 09:27:23 AM

...starting with how a sun dial works...

Tom  ;D

Nine day countdown! Remember to reset your sundials one hour ahead on March 8

Rollin,

Good to see you. DST on March 8, got it. The alarm on the sun dial is all set. 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This project is temporarily on hold. I'm sending it to a friend to have it sand blasted. There is some paint in areas that won't come off with Acetone. Often when a loco is stripped for a second painting, the black paint won't strip off the solder either or some areas of the brass.

I'll keep ya'll informed.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The DM&IR returned safe and clean last week. The cleaning did a great job in removing some of the old paint and solder blobs.

I need to drilled the tender for a speaker and drill out the light cans for LED installs. However, this one isn't up until two other brass locos are painted.

You can definitely see the difference in these photos and the ones shown earlier. A few repairs were made as well.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com