2020 Build Challenge - House On The Hill

Started by NEMMRRC, January 01, 2020, 08:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on nicely, Jaime.

I'm pretty impressed with the kit so far.  Those steps are great.

Cheers, Mark.

NEMMRRC

Alright. Moving right along.

As the paint on the walls was dry enough I began to dry fit the walls on the house's base. I wanted to make sure the walls would blend in together once glued together.

This whole making plastic look like wood was a huge experiment for me. I wanted to make the walls look like they were rotting and molding under a faint white wash of what once was the original paint on the building. The effect was achieved by layering on the paints on the walls.

Here is the rotting molding layer.

Contrast that to the plain white plastic layer underneath. I have painted the trim already. I should have waited to do that last.

Once the rotting molding layer was done I washed the walls with black acrylic paint. Lots of water and little paint.

I then finished the walls with a faint white paint layer. I did that by dry brushing some white acrylic paint.

It's OK to give your kit the finger from time to time... you know, rub the paint on with your finger.

And this is how the walls ended up.

That is enough for now.

More as it develops.

Jaime

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

MAP

Looking good Jaime.  I like your color combinations.
Mark

S&S RR

Jaime

Looks great. You are mastering the art of making plastic look like wood.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Jaime:

looking real nice so far. I agree with John S on it looking like A wood model.

Karl

NEMMRRC

Howdy, gang.

Thank you for all the positive feedback.

Time to start gluing some stuff together.

The kit's base makes it real easy to align it all up. There are tabs and slots to keep things all lined up nice and neat.

Over the years I've used FALLER Super EXPERT plastic cement. It is really nice and comes with a fantastic applicator. Ambroid ProWeld is great for fast drying joint work. Use in a well ventilated area.

See how it all fits in nice and neat on the building's foundation.

There is no "one way" to put it all together. What I did was to add one wall at a time and glue the top of the walls together. Once all the walls were together I removed the walls from the foundation and glued the bottoms of the walls together and all of the inner wall seams. This way I have a strong bond all around and I can remove the building off the base to work on it some more (I still have to add the window glazing and other details).

This also gave me a chance to make sure the roofline on the building was going to be flat once the roof was added.

The front porch is a separate subassembly and it gets a real delicate and detailed railing and posts. I built it all upside down to help me get it all squared off.

The foundation has nice brick details and trellis detail. I used the spackle method to put in some mortar lines. I painted the trellis flat black and then came back and dry brushed the trellis with white.

Time to start tying it all together.

The main roof and the tower roof get some neat ornamental ironwork.

Time to add in some small details like steps and cellar doors, etc.

Now I wait for glue to dry to proceed further.

More as it develops.

Jaime

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Janbouli

Great job Jaime , turning a plastic kit into a craftsmen kit.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, Jaime!

Some really nice detail in that kit.

Cheers, Mark.

rpdylan

Looking good Jamie!  When I did mine, that little oval window is 1 piece,,,, I opened up the spaces around the center mullions and put some Gallery Glass for a window. Something to think about,,,
Bob C.

Opa George

Very nice, Jaime. I see you lifted a few clapboards. How difficult, or tricky, was that operation on plastic as opposed to wood?
--Opa George

NEMMRRC

Quote from: rpdylan on January 09, 2020, 02:11:39 AM
Looking good Jamie!  When I did mine, that little oval window is 1 piece,,,, I opened up the spaces around the center mullions and put some Gallery Glass for a window. Something to think about,,,
I had not considered that. I may think about it. That window in this kit is also one piece. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Opa George on January 09, 2020, 05:28:19 AM
Very nice, Jaime. I see you lifted a few clapboards. How difficult, or tricky, was that operation on plastic as opposed to wood?
--Opa George
It was not hard. The plastic used on the kt is pretty sturdy. I had better luck with a number 11 blade than I did with a chisel blade. I had to do it slowly though. Once the plastic starts to bend on the wall as you lift the clapboard it wants to snap off. I ended up snapping off a couple of bits in the process.

Jaime