PRR Bellevue Sub Build

Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Hello Curt, I really like the way your engine servicing area is shaping up, can't wait to see it finished. Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

The diesel fueling facility looks just great. Can't wait to see it in place.

Karl

ACL1504

Curt,

Service area looks great, well done SBG!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Jeff, Karl, and Tom for following and your kind words.

Today I made a piece of the fascia. It's wider than normal to support the UP5, a toggle switch, and the control box for the turntable (yet to be installed). Yesterday I glued blocks and clamped them to the plywood overhang to support the fascia. I also glued the ash pit edges in place and stained with Hunterline Creosote stain. The 2 separate pieces will support the rails going over the pit.

I also made a trip to Lowes for 2 cans of clear flat spray which will be used for the roundhouse project starting tomorrow.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

A couple of days ago I painted all the RH parts their respective colors (walls dark brown, windows and doors sage green, wooden beams dark brown, and concrete interior pads sand color, outside concrete MM aged concrete). All the spray colors are flat including the clear spray.

Over the course of 3 days I did the following on the walls (pictures in order)

1. Paint the walls dark brown (started out red) and sprayed with flat clear.

2. Applied a diluted mortar wash (craft gray and Tamiya white mixed and diluted with water). After a heavy coat it was wiped off with T-shirt pieces slightly damp several times then sprayed with flat clear.

3. Bricks painted 6 or 7 different colors (I forget) then sprayed with flat clear.

4. MM aged concrete applied to exterior trim, then applied a 2.5% A&I wash, after that dried I applied gray then black weathering powder.

5. All the colors I have used so far.

This is the first time painting individual bricks and I have mixed feelings about it.
Curt Webb

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Today I figured I better install and test the turntable before getting serious about the roundhouse. I started out reaming the hole for the pit since one side wasn't laying completely flat. After hooking everything up electrically I couldn't get a power light to come on the control box. I switched the 4 leads in case they were reversed and nothing again. I took the control box apart thinking maybe there was a battery in it-nope.

It was at this point that I learned that the bridge has to be in place to complete the circuit :o. The 130' TT is the DCC one that came out several years ago, but has a older control box. I gave up on DCC programming after issues with the provided controller losing it's memory 3 times.

I now have a working turntable installed, on to the roundhouse. 
Curt Webb

deemery

Hope you caught the discussion on John Siekirk's S&S thread a couple pages back where we talked about aligning roundhouse tracks with a turntable.

This is coming together very well!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Dave thank you for commenting and reminding me of John's RH installation and I did go back and review how he did the track alignment. It was very helpful :).

The one day job of laying track and powering it in the roundhouse floor to the turntable bridge ended up being a 2 day job. I was making great progress yesterday then started having a intermittent power issue that I couldn't figure out. I called a knowledgeable DCC friend (Jon Shubert) and he gave me a couple of things to check today.

Everything started out properly then the power issues started again. I started messing with the turntable area extension buss and discovered what was most likely a bad solder joint. I cut it out, spliced in some new wire and everything works.

I started out testing the 3 RH tracks with a Genesis FP7 and decided I better try with my largest steamer (2-8-8-2) and it worked fine. I ran the steamer 3 times on each track in and out of the RH tracks onto the bridge without issue so I consider it successfully tested. Tomorrow I plan on starting the actual RH build. 
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

Nice job on the turntable. JS has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Good progress my friend.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Curt.

Nice progress.

Cheers, Mark.

deemery

My plan for various engine terminals is to have each storage track with an on-off switch.  It would be A Bad Thing to have a bunch of locos parked in the roundhouse all drawing DCC power (and making noise) when most of them should be sleeping.  :D

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

nycjeff

Hey Curt, I'm glad you got the turntable working to your satisfaction. You are not the first and you won't be the last to have this problem. Can't wait to see your roundhouse build. Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Tom, Mark, Dave, and Jeff for your kind words.

Dave- I plan on having 1 switch that will kill the power for the entire RH/TT area. That's what I had before and was happy with it (wiring is not my friend!).

Over the last 2-3 days I put the walls and windows together. I had issues with MM model cement (what I normally use for plastics) actually holding the walls together for some reason. The next try was with CA (hate to use it on buildings). It held better but not great so I taped the pieces tightly together (painters tape) overnight and that looks like it worked.

Today I mounted 2 amber lights in the RH. I figure with the walls in place you won't see the wiring. I also mounted details on the concrete pad. Tomorrow I'll start mounting the rear walls (background of picture). I can't put the foreground walls up until I get the welding light kit in. These will go into the hole around the welding details.
Curt Webb

Jerry

Curt it's starting to take shape.  Nice work.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ReadingBob

Wow Curt!  You're really making a lot of progress in a short period of time.  I bet you're anxious to get trains running again.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.