Norway layout by Mike Carter

Started by madharry, November 17, 2016, 10:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

My new Norwegian layout is inspired by three cruises that we have made recently to this wonderful country.

By necessity most of the structures will be have to be scratchbuilt. I intend populating the new exhibition layout with structures from various parts of Norway modelled from photos I have taken while on the cruises. So the layout will not be just one place but a composite of Norwegian architecture. Already I have built 8 additional scratch built houses reduced in size to force the perspective - see my other topic "norwegian houses".

The only exception to this scratch build is a model of Hell Station. The station is located some 30 kms from Trondheim and NMJ Skyline Models offers a very nice resin model of the station.

However I was only able to obtain the 1950's version which was finished in a drab cream with blue windows. As I am modelling the present day I just had to repaint it........

I found that I could push out the windows (which are metal) by carefully using a piece of dowel. I cleaned the glue adhesive off and save most of the acetate. I then sprayed the windows white. The whole building except the roof was then sprayed with Humbrol Sand 63.

I then painted the doors which are molded on the model white as well as the gables. The major task appears to be repainting the frames maroon. I am using Phoenix Precision P116 BR Coach Crimson.

It is going to take some time but I think it will be worth it in the end.

I also intend scratch building the freight shed which has this wonderful sign - HELL GODS- EXPEDITION. The meaning in Norwegian is slightly different - Hell in Norse means Cave and the rest means freight handling.

Mike

GPdemayo

Nice work Mike.....I'll be watching.  8)

I'm still no where near close to starting Twin Mills, but I have been having a ball reading the instructions and designing the area of the layout where it, and its support structures, will live.  ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

madharry

Thanks Greg. I'm lokking forward to your Twin Mills.
Mike :)

ACL1504

Mike,

With your talent this will be a lot of fun to follow.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

madharry

Thanks Tom, I will do my best..........

Mike :D

Mark Dalrymple

I'll be watching your progress, Mike.

I've been to Hell - back in 1988.  I had no idea it was coming until I looked out the window of the train and saw the station sign.  The devil was sitting on a luggage trolley - he was wearing a straw hat.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Mike

This is going to be a great project - I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

madharry

Quote from: mark dalrymple on November 18, 2016, 08:31:40 AM
I'll be watching your progress, Mike.

I've been to Hell - back in 1988.  I had no idea it was coming until I looked out the window of the train and saw the station sign.  The devil was sitting on a luggage trolley - he was wearing a straw hat.

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark for your comments. I hope you and your family are safe from the recent earthquake. I have a client leaving tomorrow and we have moved his stay from Kaikoura to Hanmer Springs. They will miss out on the whale watching though.

Stay safe.

Mike

madharry

Thanks John, I am really enjoying the research and trying to solve the old question of pouring two pints into a pint pot.

Mike  ;D

Janbouli

Following along Mike , hoping to see this layout live in the future.
I love photo's, don't we all.

madharry

Thanks Jan I am still struggiling with repainting 32 windows frames.....but I will get there!

I picked a superb loco from Stuart yesterday an ECU Class 66/77 with sound and smoke...............literally the best model I have ever owned basically an American 40-2 in european clothing................British outline but european and ran in Norway.........RESULT.

Mike  ;D

madharry

Sorry for the delay..............here is the repainted station building. I had to paint 32 frames scarlet, the windows and doors white and replace the glazing.

Mike ;D

madharry

At the big Warley Show I was offered 3 invites to future model railway exhibitions for the  Norwegian layout. And it is not built yet..........Still a notion. It is has to be better than Red Hook Bay which is a concern..................

Mike :-\

Janbouli

Quote from: madharry on December 01, 2016, 04:46:58 PM
At the big Warley Show I was offered 3 invites to future model railway exhibitions for the  Norwegian layout. And it is not built yet..........Still a notion. It is has to be better than Red Hook Bay which is a concern..................

You can do it Mike !!!
I love photo's, don't we all.

GPdemayo

Quote from: madharry on December 01, 2016, 04:46:58 PM

Atta boy Mike..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL