Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: ak-milw on February 26, 2017, 10:56:11 PM
John, the colors make every thing pop. looks great

Andy

Thanks - I learned something about my lighting too.  I think all of the overhead florescent lights are going to go and will be replaced with spot LED's from the valance. I need to do some experimenting.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jimmillho

John,
Be sure to keep us up to date on the light changes.

I have florescent lights with UV filters on each tube.

Jim

S&S RR

Quote from: jimmillho on February 27, 2017, 11:52:32 AM
John,
Be sure to keep us up to date on the light changes.

I have florescent lights with UV filters on each tube.

Jim

Jim

Thanks for stopping by - I will.  This project will be a few months but I have already bought the light fixtures to implement it. The LED's just produce much better light.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I got to test a tip I read in Steve Custer's O'Neal's build thread.  Steve mentioned that he used a Mortar & Pestle to grind the sand finer for his pathways.  Light bulb went off in my head and I had to try it.  So off to Amazon and found a granite Mortar & Pestle on sale so I bought it. I have just about every color sand I could need between my place here in Clarkston and my Cabin in Northern Michigan.  The problem is the texture - the sand is to coarse. The sand pile I have in the woods from digging the basement under my gazebo is just the right color but fits into the too coarse category.  So here's pictures of the test. 

Here is a picture of the sand that has been run through 3 different sizes of screen to remove the big chunks.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the process and the end results.  I only worked on this about a minute.  It was amazing how fine I could grind sand. Thanks for the tip Steve.  I will have all the sand I need for modeling in just a few days work. I really like being able to collect scenery materials on my walks.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

SteveCuster

I'm glad it worked out John. It definitely makes it easier to get the really fine dirt without sifting through screens and stockings etc..
I can't take credit for the idea, I got it from Brett Gallant but I'm glad I could pass it on.

-Steve
Steve Custer

jimmillho

I still think we need a LIKE button on the forum.

I kike this idea.

Jim

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: SteveCuster on February 27, 2017, 08:45:57 PM
I'm glad it worked out John. It definitely makes it easier to get the really fine dirt without sifting through screens and stockings etc..
I can't take credit for the idea, I got it from Brett Gallant but I'm glad I could pass it on.

-Steve

Steve

Thanks again for passing it along - great source.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jimmillho on February 27, 2017, 09:07:15 PM
I still think we need a LIKE button on the forum.

I kike this idea.

Jim

Jim

Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you liked my third hand tip of the day.  It does really work nice.
John Siekirk

Powersteamguy1790

John:

Just make sure there are no iron particles in the sand. Run a strong magnet over your pulverized sand. Iron particles ruin locomotive motors.

Stay cool and run steam...... 8) 8)

rpdylan

Great idea! I have been adding a bit of earth colored pastel chalks to my sand , got some nice coloring with them...
Bob C.

postalkarl

Hi John:

Cool idea. Looks the the sand came out real fine. I might have to look for one of those.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: Powersteamguy1790 on February 27, 2017, 10:13:37 PM
John:

Just make sure there are no iron particles in the sand. Run a strong magnet over your pulverized sand. Iron particles ruin locomotive motors.

Stay cool and run steam...... 8) 8)

Good point Bob.  I need to do that.  I do it with the materials I bring back with me from Michigan's Upper Peninsula - lots of iron up there. 
John Siekirk