Interaction Hobbies Moonshiners Cabin

Started by postalkarl, May 04, 2020, 05:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey All:

Got A little more work done today. Finished up the back porch and am working on the rocking chair mechanism.
Here's A photo.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Thanks buddy much appreciated.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi All:

the power unit for the rocking chair is assembled. I had to take it to the Hobby Shop I work in to have the wires soldered as I don't have A soldering iron and not very good at it any way. I'm not very mechanically inclined. I assembled one of the rockers and kind of messed it up. Darryl sent me extra rocker parts. Gonna try again and see if I can get it right. If not I guess I will finish the kit without the working rocking chair. We shall see.

Wish me luck.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi All:

Finished up the kit today. As I said I'm pretty mechanically inept. The rocking chairs are very fragile and I had trouble with them due to my mechanical inability. Not the fault of the kit. I just kept breaking parts with my hands. also did not have proper tools for cutting the tubing. Razor saw just didn't work well. Hope Darryl will forgive me.

Karl

postalkarl

GPdemayo

Good job Karl.....I can understand your problem with the rocking chair, I think all of us have an area in the hobby that's a bit over our heads.....I love old brass steam engines, but having to take them apart to paint or fix scares the dickens out of me.  :-[
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Greg:

Thank for the compliment and also understanding my problem.

Karl

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

Zephyrus52246

Nice job on the structure, Karl. 

Jeff

WigWag Workshop

Looks great! Thank you for sharing

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

postalkarl

Hi Steve, Jeff and Steven:

Thanks for the great compliments guys. Very much appreciated.

Karl

Rail and Tie

Hey Karl, great build and nice job on the cabin!

The chair is definitely a bit tricky as it is so tiny. Sorry you had problem with it and thanks for the feedback. I will do a tutorial on this and cutting aluminum tubing and add it to the instructions. If you had problems with it, others will have problems so we will try and make that a bit easier in the future.

A great tip on cutting aluminum tubing is to use an exacto  blade to roll the tubing under the blade in a back and forth motion on your cutting mat. This will form a slot in the soft tubing. Then you simply apply a back and forth bending pressure on the tubing at the slot and it will pop in half.  Works perfect on the soft aluminum tubing. Then you just have to clean up the end a little with the exacto as a reamer as the pressure you applied forming the slot will deform the tubing very slightly.

This is the same method that you use when you use a radial tubing cutter on larger material.

I really like the rocking chair in white instead of brown. Makes it stand out much more. Hope you still enjoyed building the kit even with the problems with it you encountered!

Darryl
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

postalkarl

Hey Darryl:

Thanks for understanding. That is much appreciate. Thanks for the info on cutting the tubing. Would have never thought of that. Enjoyed building the kit.

Thanks again:

Karl

Oldguy

Great build and all, although I will go a different route on the colors.  I have some IMEX trailer home kits that I will pair one with the cabin.  Kinda like some of the family "compounds" we have down here.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond