Great times at the expo!

Started by Eric, November 05, 2017, 08:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Arrived with wife on Thursday. This was the place to be if your a modeler of craftsman kits! Met many people like myself who have a passion for modeling. Friendly and helpful vendors! The dinner was great fun and got to sit at the same table with Joey Ricard of Trackside Scenery and his wife. I laughed from beginning to end. I also entered the yard by yard contest and placed third! That topped off my evening and made the trip extra special. Looking forward to next year!

cuse

Eric,

My sadness at missing the Expo was multiplied when I saw pics of a spectacular wharf scene. Please share some more pics!

Nice work!

John

Zephyrus52246

Congrats on your award, Eric.  Well deserved.  It was a very nice diorama.

Jeff

postalkarl

Hi guys:

The wife and I were there and we enjoyed ourselves very much. It was a great show as always. We shall see where it is next year.

Karl

GPdemayo

Great dio Eric and welcome aboard..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on November 06, 2017, 07:03:30 AM
Congrats on your award, Eric.  Well deserved.  It was a very nice diorama.

Jeff

Eric,

Congratulations on the third place finish. Looks like a wonderful wharf scene.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Eric

Hey guys thanks for your compliments! Really makes my day! I'm already in the process of next years diorama. I'm actually cleaning out the room I created this years. It's a mess and have to get it all back in order. This is a 2 day cleaning!! Then over to the other room and that be my actual modeling room were all the crafting takes place. I will post more photos of Diorama as soon as I can. I have to reduce file size of photos. For you guys who don't think you can enter. No way start your ideas and get busy! I want to see your work just as much as you guys like to see others! We can all learn from each other. Don't think you can't do it cause you can! Yard by yard or 2" by 2". You have to go for it! I'm still all pickles from the great time I had. Met new friends and talked craftsmanship all the time! For you guys who have t gone. Start making plans to go cause you will NEVER experience a show like this. It's in a class by it self! Trust me I've been to plenty and nothing compares to this baby! Nothing! That team did a great job in putting this together. There pros in the craftsman hobbie and pros on how to put smiles on our faces ! So start making plans and bring the wife's. I bought mine and she loves it! Who knows, if enough wife's come maybe they will have a clinic on " Christmas shopping for the hubby " lol

Pennman

Altoona show was my first show I attended in my short modeling career. I met some friends, new and old. I had a great time and hope to attend more shows in the future.

I did meet "new member", Eric, and I must say his modeling is top notch!
So Eric, do as suggested above, and upload more pictures of your great diorama.

I am a scratchbuilder and when I figure out how to post pictures, I will show you fellas what I built.

This is a great forum!
Thanks
Rich

donatode

Congratulations Eric. Fine Job.

Am going to add you to my "must follow" list....

rpdylan

Welcome Eric and Rich- looking forward to seeing photos of your work! Eric, I would love to know how you modeled your sea water--- coloring and medium used- it looks so good!
Bob C.

Raymo

Congratulations on your 3rd place award, it's a great place to start and go forward.

Eric

Troels Kirk " making waves on the coast line" your question on how I made my water? Dave Frary one of my childhood idols created many "how to videos" Yes that's VHS lol back in the day! You must  enter the " You Tube" world and follow how he painted the bottom base of his " Sea port water town display" which was made for " Sea port models" also which was at the expo show! I purchase all my boat models from them 👍. As far as the waves go I've been everywhere on you tube concerning making water and waves. Get ready to see the GREASTEST WAVE maker in the business. I have to say WOW!  It's Troels Kirk " making waves on the coastline model railroad" wait till you see that on you tube. It's amazing! Never have I seen art of water waves like that. You will feel the same!  Even now I watch that video here and there just to be wowed! Follow his technique and you to will have same results! Mine of course was not what I would have liked it to be due to fact I went and bought water waves from another company before I saw Troels video and decided to use that gel medium rather than the one he suggests you use so I didn't get quite the effect but I was still happy. I now own the gel he suggests you use. He was right. That stuff has the perfect consistency. That stuff I'm referring to is "Gloss super heavy gel" by liquitex. So take some timeout and watch that video. You will be amazed!! Have fun. 🤗🤗🤗

Eric

Pls also watch " teals light on Troels Kirk's On30 Coastline RR". Punch that in on you tube. Again that water scene is amazing!

Pennman

Eric,
You are the "new" Master Craftsman on the way to the top. Like I told you, third is much better than no place! Be careful about handing out all of your tips and tricks, as these fellas are taking notes.Congratulations again on a well done diorama.
Your friend
Rich

Eric

Haha your funny Rich but no really I don't mind sharing my tips with anyone ever. I actually enjoy sharing my ideas with others as I did at the expo. It's what made conversation great! It's so much fun. As I mentioned to you I'm am so greatful I came in third. It made my night extra special. I appreciate your kindness to me and great meeting you. Thanks again Eric