Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Big day for the LBP construction crew of the S&S RR today!

Looking good, John.

I'll hold my tongue on the yellow until all is done.  I know I did one myself in gloss yellow with a hit of Dullcote when done.  At the time it looked so bright (much more so than yours) but when finished it quickly became one of my favourite colour schemes.  (please excuse my Queen's English spelling - two in a row there!)

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 05, 2019, 09:47:38 PM
Big day for the LBP construction crew of the S&S RR today!

Looking good, John.

I'll hold my tongue on the yellow until all is done.  I know I did one myself in gloss yellow with a hit of Dullcote when done.  At the time it looked so bright (much more so than yours) but when finished it quickly became one of my favourite colour schemes.  (please excuse my Queen's English spelling - two in a row there!)

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark

Thank you for following along, yes I spent a few hours in the workshop today.

The yellow looks much brighter in the photograph with the iPhone than in real life to the eye. I don't like how the new iPhones brighten all the colors. I will take some good pictures with my SLR when this build is done. The nice thing about this process is I can always hit it with another coat of A&I if I still think it's to bright when I get the windows and trim on it.
John Siekirk

Jerry

Looking good John.  I like the yellow its different but in the end I think it will blend out very nicely.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on December 05, 2019, 11:00:56 PM
Looking good John.  I like the yellow its different but in the end I think it will blend out very nicely.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for your comments and for following along.  I took a look at the photographs and the walls this morning and decided to tone them down a little with a light wash of A&I. This wash is 25% of the strength of the wash I normally use.  It did take the edge off the yellow.  I will post pictures tonight.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Jerry

Perfect don't change a thing.  Your eye for coloring is amazing!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on December 08, 2019, 12:12:36 PM
Perfect don't change a thing.  Your eye for coloring is amazing!

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along and the kind words. I really struggle with coloring - I keep buying color wheels and reading books and it still takes a few trials for me to get something I like the looks of. There are some very good eyes on this forum and I really like getting input.  Sometimes they post it and sometimes I get an email - especial if they think it looks like s**t. I'm learning and appreciate the input.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I took a few pictures, yesterday, of the Eagles Nest area of the layout where my current build project will be planted.  I'm making a few track work changes in preparation for the builds and wanted to have some pictures on the iPad to use for sketching. Since they were here I thought I would post a few - it is a build thread.  This is the view from the Eagles Nest.  The hole you see in the foreground is for the pit on the Foundry and Fox Run Builds. The next two builds along this line will be Swakhammer's and G. Wilikers FSM kits. There will be 3 or 4 more builds in the area near the Roundhouse.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also, cleared and area for the Station and Freight depot in the front of this area. This will also require a few track routing changes.

I never know what I will find when I cut into this benchwork.  The writing you see on the plywood is from my previous layout. You can also see the junction between the old and new benchwork made during one of the expansions a few years ago.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Wow!!! Everything looks just great. Who's roundhouse is that. It's very cool.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 08, 2019, 04:03:04 PM
Hey John:

Wow!!! Everything looks just great. Who's roundhouse is that. It's very cool.

Karl

Hi Karl

The Stone Roundhouse is from one of Bob VanGelder's Stone Roundhouse castings that George Sellios gave me. If you want to read all the details of the build I chronicled the build in Volume 1 of this build thread. It starts on page 7 and goes for a long time - that was a big build. The locomotive works started with the same seed castings.

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=49.90

I plan to start a similar build of Bob's Brick Roundhouse next year that will reside in Superior Yard - the new section of my layout. The new one will be bigger than what I did for the Stone Roundhouse.  I'm looking forward to that build.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Progress picture of the Swakhammer's build. Window and door castings are in the main building. Next up roof supports and roof cards.

John Siekirk