Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey John:

WOW!!!! Structure is coming along beautifully.

Karl

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 04, 2019, 09:24:20 AM
Nice looking roofing.

Curt

Thank you, I will be using the weather chalks once the structures are in place - but I agree that these new shingles from Wild West Models really look good right out to the package.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 04, 2019, 10:35:00 AM
Hey John:

WOW!!!! Structure is coming along beautifully.

Karl

Karl

Thank you - I hope to string a few days in a row on these builds this week.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 04, 2019, 10:03:08 AM
John,

I agree with Curt, great looking shingles.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you, I just put in an order for the shingles for the next half a dozen builds.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on December 04, 2019, 02:52:47 PM
Great coloring on the shingles John.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the kind words and as always for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I spent most of the day adding shingles to the many structures that make up the Fox Run build and getting all of the clapboard structures glued together and ready for the staining process on the Swakhammer build. I will take some more progress pictures when I get these steps completed.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I colored the clapboard walls of the main build for Swakhammer's today.  I wanted that chalky paint look. My time frame is 1949 so I wanted the building to look like it was time for a new coat of paint - neglected during the war - look. I used a three step process. 1) stained the wall with Hunters Creamy Yellow stain. 2) A&I to get the coal dust look and pop the railheads. Finally, 3) added yellow chalk for more color - slightly more orange to the yellow to get to the color that matched my doors on the stone part of the building. Here are a few pictures from the end of the day followed by some process pictures.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I need to get rid of some of the chalk that built up next to the moldings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Step 3: was the Rembrandts 202.5 yellow chalk.

I painted this on as a wash by adding Alcohol.

Here is a zoomed in picture of the clapboard wall.  The nail heads are visible but much more subtle. They are more visible to my eye and the paint color is more chalky.  The magic of an iPhone picture.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the Fox Run build at the end of the day, today.  Followed by a couple of progress pictures as the main building subassemblies came together.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk