Builders in Scale G. W. Nichols Wood - build challenge

Started by Oldguy, December 31, 2019, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Now that I can easily identify and location all the needed lumber, it's time to start wall assembly.  They do note that the provided templates may not be all that accurate.  Something about expansion/contraction due to printing.  I gotta keep that in mind.

So I'm building the back wall of the lumber storage shed.   And because I'm doubling it's size, I need to double the needed material.  And oh, we're building this stick by stick, starting with four 2x4 back wall sections.  Each section requires 11 2x4 studs and 2x4 top and bottom plates.  I initially tried to do this on the template.  I just couldn't keep the plates on edge.  So off to the glue jig.  Works like a charm.

I wasn't able to proceed any further, as it started snowing like a mother over the existing ice layer.  I need to head back to the house before it gets real slippery.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Initially, I made up a spacer that fit in between the studs to maintain spacing.  It was very time consuming and with 4 of these walls to build, I had to come up with another way.  I used my first one, and then placed it on the gluing jig, drew pencil lines along each stud and used those lines for placement.  I made the remaining three in the time it took to make the first one.

Then it was on to the sides.  The instructions make it very clear that one had to use Elevation B as a template.  Elevation D, the other side, was narrower than B, so one couldn't do two at one time.  And there are three critical vertical spaces that must be 4 scale inches wide.  So here, I decided to build my three "end pieces" on Elevation B.  I established a base line for the bottom plate, secured it down(using super magnets), established one end with a triangle that was secured from movement, and worked my way to the right.  The bracing was cut to fit in place.  There will be quite a bit of dried glue blobs that will have to be cleaned off.  But those are done!
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

This is kicking my backside.  Now to build two floors from scale 2x10s and some scale 2x6s.

I really hate working over wax paper as it never wants to sit flat.  I did get a horizontal plane established, a left vertical, and started to add lumber.  After about 5 or 6 joists, I was able to get a little weight added to keep them from rising up.  Slowly worked my way across.  Then it came time to add the horizontal members.  Some are for the actual storage area, while the bulk are for a walkway.  I added a 1-2-3 block to hold the joists flat and somewhat in place while I added the 2x6s.  Here's the final product.  And I had to make two of them.  They aren't perfect, but I'm in no mood to make more.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

Bob, really nice results on that wall using the template. 
--Opa George

Oldguy

Quote from: Opa George on January 20, 2020, 07:03:49 PM
Bob, really nice results on that wall using the template. 
--Opa George
Thanks; it was worth the effort in the long run.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Still slogging along.  The kit provides 6 metal T-plates, but there are 12 places where they should go.  The instructions stated, pick which set you want to use them on.  Although recommends to use them on the set in front.  And I'm doubling the size of this building.  So, I'm going to be real short.  Okay.  so out comes the Brown paper and a bunch of NBWs.   It was a simple matter of marking the drill hole placement with a sharp int and then drill the holes.  I found that it helped to drill from the back side as well and go back over the holes with the sharp end of the lace draper to aid in getting them little NBWs into their holes.  The cast plates are the ones on the bottom.
Of curse when I started to assemble the building these can not be readily seen.  Oh well.  I know they are there.

The base has been doubled in size, and the kit had no step to have more of a base other than a square made out of wood.  I did add a thin plastic filer to the base and covered the non "concrete" area with WS gray fine ballast to replicate a gravel floor.
Sad to think that after building this structure with individual studs, joists, and fire blocks, that it will be covered in metal siding.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on nicely, Bob.

The paper T-brackets look good.

Cheers, Mark.

carl b

Looks good Bob.
I always liked BIS for their full templates and scale plans.
Carl

Oldguy

Mark and Carl, thanks for the support.
Soooooo, spent my modeling time mainly making trusses.  I needed 20 of them with double lower chords.  In making the cutting/gluing jig, it is very important on placing the lower chord stop as all the trusses rest on the lower chords.  No prototypical, but hey, they can't be seen anyway.  That also explains why some parts are blue.  They were left over from another build.

Then the trick became on how to add the lower chord on the other side, as they have to be even.  Luckily, a machinist block came to the rescue.

There are two end trusses that are more prototypical and these needed to be made up individually.  I made up the outside halves and will let them sit overnight so I can add the interior bracing.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

That's a lot of really tiny, delicate work, Bob. Great job. I'm really enjoying watching this take shape. Thanks for posting all your progress.
--Opa George

Oldguy

After the 20 standard rafters, it was time to finish the two end rafters.  These are more detailed as they will be partially visible, if one follows the directions and make weather worn gable ends.  It was just as easy to make these on the template as all we are adding are the interior bracing pieces.

Now it is time to add the ribbed metal siding.  A couple of shots of all the 2x4 construction before it gets covered up.  Knowing that I was going to make this building larger, I ordered some, actually I order a bunch, additional ribbed siding.  I have another project in which these are prototypically correct.  Hmmm. The newer material doesn't completely match the old.  The older material is on the top.  I'll use the original siding for the side walls and the newer for the roof, so not a real issue.  So the material was cut to size and given a coat of gray primer that will sit over night to cure.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I managed to get the siding on, but it ain't pretty.  The idea was that each backside corner was to end with a rib, then wrap a little extra around the corner.  Not even close.  It was one of those pesky little details that I missed when reading through the instructions.  If I had realized it, I could have made adjustments with my additional length.  Gotta give Jim credit on his design.  He made the width so a rib would fall on a corner.  And I didn't.

Now that the siding was one, it was time for the roof trusses.  Eventually, I remembered to add more truss locations on the template.  Then taped down tape to hold the 1x4s on the tape, then glue the trusses on to them.  This required the establishment of a baseline for length and a method to keep the 1x4s parallel.  Good old triangle to the rescue. again.

Since the paper template would not lay flat, I used a scrap piece of granite to hold the glued in trusses and then when all were in place, set it across their base for the night.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

The roof is done.  Sure a lot of work that'll just be hidden.

It is suggested that now would be a good time to load up the storage rack.  Seems reasonable.  Just over 250 pieces of wood that need to be separated by size.  Actually, the wood was brilliantly separated and banded together to make it an easy job to get into separate piles.  The odd sized wood is for yard details and a jib crane.  Before I left for the night, I grabbed some ancient Campbell tie material and some creosoted ties.  I'll use these to fill in some of the bin storage bays.

Creosoted ties.  When I first got into the hobby, I was hand laying code 55 track and decided that I should be using actual creosote for the ties to get the real tie color. Back then one could easily buy creosote at the local hardware store in quart cans.  I didn't care all that much with the health effects as I wasn't going to use that much, but I did learn two things - Creosoted ties and plastic don't play well together and that real ties turn color with age.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Wow looks like a lot of work. Looking good. Keep the pic flowing.

Karl

Opa George

Bob,
The wood skeletal structure of the building and the roof assembly is simply awesome.  It's so beautiful without the metal siding I can see why you were hesitant to cover it up.
--Opa George