2020 Build Challenge - House On The Hill

Started by NEMMRRC, January 01, 2020, 08:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimF

Another great build, and doing 2 at same time.

I am so tempted to order both house kits, but am holding off, as I am getting a itch to do a couple of O scale structures.

Jim

ACL1504

Jaime,

Wow, what an outstanding build. Great job.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

NEMMRRC

Thank you all for the encouraging words. A big thank you to Raymo for getting all of us off our seat and starting off the year by building stuff.

Time to figure out how to configure the diorama for the structure.

You can see how the structure fits neatly on its foundation and the foundation inside the hill's crest or terrain if you would. I like to use Gatorfoam for my diorama bases. Gatorfoam is light, very sturdy, waterproof, cuts easily, and it can be ordered in a "natural" color to hide any bare spots in your scenery. Give it a try.

Let's see what we can dream up for the diorama.

The blank slate.

I wanted to build a hill on the diorama base so I used some white styrofoam I had handy.

When you move into a new house your spouse will likely buy new furniture. With new furniture you get a lifetime supply of cardboard and white styrofoam.

I grabbed a small rigid straight piece.

I used some small sharp knives to cut up the stuff, carefully. The white styrofoam makes a mess so try to limit its use.

I wanted to build the hill to match the height of the stone stairway that comes with the kit.

And here is evidence of how little of a mess you can make if you are really careful cutting up the white styrofoam.

The end results... sort of.

I misjudged the whole effort and the stairway is dangling in the air. No biggie.

A lifetime supply of cardboard and white styrofoam....

And here is an overview of the whole affair.

And now I wait some more for the white glue holding all the white styrofoam together to dry.

I need to figure out how to slope the hill with Scultpamold so stay tuned.

More as it develops.

Jaime

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

NEMMRRC

Alright!

I found a spare piece of blue foam from a past project. I used it to finish off the base for the hill before I slather on some Sculptamold.

I used the same set of knives to cut up the blue foam.

That should do the trick.

I love using Sculptamold. It is very easy to work into the area and shape you need and has about a 20-30 minute working time. More on that later.

When I finished the base for the hill I wanted to find some inspiration for what to do. So I Googled "psycho house" to find some photos online. Boy was that creepy.

Those are the three photos I decided to use as a guide for how to scenic the hill AFTER I had glued up all the foam on my diorama base. By the way, I don't know who that couple is in the third photo.

When I set off to do this build I did not intend to do the Psycho house. I mainly wanted to do a run-down house that needed some repair. It's a tad creepy my house ended up looking a lot like the Psycho house. Oh well.

After the glued foam dries up I'll start slathering on some Sculptamold.

More as it develops.

Jaime

postalkarl

Hey jaime:

Beautiful job so far. Love the prototype photos also. I just noticed that I have that kit in my stash. Got it quite A while ago.

Keep up the great work.

Karl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

NEMMRRC

Those that have this kit need to build it. It's fun.

You know what's even more fun? Sculptamold.

Time to build some terrain using Sculptamold.

All you need is some water, a mixing bowl, something to mix it all up with, and a brush to work the Sculptamold before it starts to set.

I used a sponge brush to work the Sculptamold into the shapes I needed but you can use any old bristle brush. You have to wet the brush to work the Sculptamold.

This stuff is easy to work. You take 2 parts Sculptamold and add one part water. You mix it up real nice into the consistency of tuna fish like in a sandwich.

Just slather the Sculptamold on your diorama and use the wet brush to push it around and tease it into the shape you need. You have anywhere between 20 to 30 minted to work this stuff before it begins to set. It's easier to make small batches so you aren't in a rush to get all the work done at once. The trick is to keep your brush wet and keep the Scultpamold wet while you work it.

It is really easy to blend in the Sculptamold with the rest of your scenery. Above you can see how I blended in the Sculptamold with the kit's plastic terrain base.

And this is where I ended up.

Even though the stuff begins to set after about 30 minutes, it takes it around 2 days to fully dry. Wait until it is fully dry to come back and sand it down to your liking and then paint it.

So now I wait some more.....

By the way, the kit includes one figure, this one.

I probably won't be using it here.

More as it develops.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

The Sculptamold finally dried.

I need some scenery supplies and I'll get moving.

I tested some shades of brown to see if what I have in mind will work.

I find that cleaning my workbench helps me get it all sorted out without distraction. However, I end up losing tools afterwards ...

Move as it develops.

Jaime

postalkarl

Jaime:

the model is looking just beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished model with all its scenery. Maybe you should scratch the bates Motel to go with it.

Karl

NEMMRRC

Quote from: postalkarl on January 16, 2020, 08:23:11 AM
Jaime:

the model is looking just beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished model with all its scenery. Maybe you should scratch the bates Motel to go with it.

Karl
I think I'll save that for a later challenge.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Scenery supplies arrived today. So, I headed down to the basement and began getting the diorama dirty. I don't dare do scenery work in the breakfast room where my workbench is found. Plus it gave me a chance to move to an area with more space and I got to clean up my workbench.

First I sanded off the pointy bits sticking out of the Sculptamold terrain. I used 100 grit and a sanding block with 150 grit.

I then mixed one half white glue with one half light brown acrylic paint I had from when I built the Expo module for the Lancaster Expo. I got the 1 to 1 formula from a video from www.TracksideScenery.com .

I used a cheap 1" bristle brush to apply the natural color "scenery glue".

And this is how it all ended up. I probably should have taped off some sections that I didn't want scenery on. Oh well...

I then sprinkled on some Woodland Scenics ground turf. I don't have real dirt made up so...

And now I wait for stuff to dry.

More as it develops.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Alright, if I don't keep moving I'll let this stuff linger. This is why I don't like scenery (other than because I suck at it), it takes too long with all the drying time.

Next I decided to start adding some foliage. I had some little trees that I have no clue where I got from. But, there they were so I am going to use them.

Next it is time to add gravel to the diorama base. Or at least something other than turf. I found a cool video from Joey Ricard at www.tracksidescenery.com on YouTube and he shows how to use Quikrete cement mix to mimic gravel on your layout. So I did that.

First you have to sift the Quikrete mix to get rid of the pebbles and stones.
Next you paint the area with the natural colored scenery glue.
Then you dust on the sifted gravel (Quikrete).
After that you let it dry.........................

Once it is dry, you saturate the graveled area (I did the whole diorama just to be sure) with cheap hair spray to fix everything in place.

Just get the cheapest hair spray you can find. I bought mine at the local Dollar Tree.

Go out of doors and saturate the gravel with the hair spray. Don't hold back. Let it rip. Go crazy with it.

And then you wait some more for it to dry............................................................................................

Have I already mentioned that this hobby requires the patience of a saint ?

More as it develops.

Jaime

JimF

Looks fantastic, Jamie.

I'm not sure I will use them, but after watching your build, went ahead and bought both kits, just in case. One never knows :)

Jim

NEMMRRC

Progress Report

Thank you all for following along.

This is where I am at the moment.

I still need to add glazing to the windows, weather the roof, add some shrubs around the house and maybe a couple more trees.

I have no idea what I will do with the diorama one it is "finished". I may take it to the office and use it as a "conversation starter".

More as it develops.

Jaime