Metcalfe Manor Farm House - a paper kit

Started by NEMMRRC, January 16, 2020, 08:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

These Metcalfe kits come with more than meets the eye. For example, at the Metcalfe Models website you can download the instructions, a site plan for the built up kit and extras like curtains and shingles for the kit. Go take a look. If nothing else you'll get some free curtains  ::)

Here is how you do the curtains.

1. download the curtains file
2. print the curtains
3. cut out the curtains
4. glue some spare bits of card to the outside of the window on the inside (this gives the scenery some depth)
5. glue the curtains to the spare bits of card

It's that simple.

So, this kit comes with a gabled addition to the main building and some lean-to additions to both buildings. The gabled end and the lean-tos are built just like the main building. I decided to add curtains to the gabled end. And here is how all that went after following the steps above.

See how there is a shadow behind the mullions cast onto the curtains. Pretty nifty.

The gabled end and the lean-tos did not provide an inner window frame for all the glazing so one glues the glazing directly on the inside of the wall.

Here is how that gabled end goes on the main building.

There are also caps for the chimneys to glue on.

And here is a closer look at the scale of the kit. Note that the front entrance door is larger than the other doors.

That is an HO figure I had in my stash of stuff. I hadn't thought to measure him before so I did that and he measures out to 7 ft tall against my HO Scale rule. So, your mileage will vary with these kits and everything else on your layout.

There are two lean-tos for the main building. These are not compulsory and can be arranged to fit on any of the walls of the main building. So, I played around with the lean-tos to determine what I liked best. Here is what I came up with.

And the configuration I finally settled on was this one.

I like how it makes the building even broader. It should make for an impressive scene along the back of a module. I don't feel the kit has enough detail and definition to make it a foreground model. However, a dedicated modeler could make this work as a foreground model. I was just putzing around with this kit as I was really intrigued by the Metcalfe catalog of kits.

I still have the second building the put together, the worker's cottage.

More as it develops.

Jaime

Oldguy

Really interesting build.  Thanks for the journey.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

GPdemayo

The kit came out very well.....good work Jaime.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

NEMMRRC

Thanks for all the feedback.

Time to wrap it up.

This is what the second building (worker's cottage) finishes up to.

Like the main building, the lean-tos can be added where the modelers chooses.

Along with the kit you get a sheet of "ridge tiles". I read over the instructions and did't feel they were needed plus I was a tad confused on how to use them. Nonetheless, they are there if one wishes to use them.

And here is how it would look if I were to put it on my layout or on a diorama using the configuration I liked best.

This was a fun departure from the regular stuff. It kept me at the workbench for about 4 evenings. With some extra "bling" once could make this a really nice foreground model.

It's interesting to me how Metcalfe has a full catalog of structures to fit a British themed layout. Makes on wonder if there is enough demand for some models of structures on this side of the world.

Jaime

Janbouli

I bought my Metcalfe kits from a Dutch vendor that attends most of the shows in the Netherlands , I go through his collection looking for kits that could be used on an American style layout. It would be great if Metcalfe or another manufacturer would decide to do more American style kits , they make nice cheap fillers and in N-scale they are good for front row buildings too.

Thanks for sharing Jaime .
I love photo's, don't we all.

NEMMRRC

Imagine how many kits they would sell in the USA if they priced them below $16.

Jaime

Zephyrus52246

Nice looking structures.  I think the 3-D effect of the windows/doors helps with the realism.  Better than just printed flat on paper.

Jeff

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

NEMMRRC

Thanks, guys.

I may have to give one of their railroad structures a go.

Jaime

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

MAP

Mark

JimF

I've only done one Metcalfe kit, years ago. It was a N scale factory, a bit fiddly, but looked great when it was done.

In more recent times, I've built a few card structures in OO (1/76, like Jamie's kit is). A medium station, a canal narrow boat, and a row house. The difference is there were downloaded kits, that you either print out at home or take to a Staple's or Kinko's. You then glue the printed surfaces on card and cut out all the parts yourself. Buy once, make any number of them. The same way Clever Models sells their kits.

Also, they can be re-scaled easily.

Here's some links to a few mfrs for anyone wanting to browse..

http://www.3dk.ca/

http://www.modelrailwayscenery.com/

http://www.scalescenes.com/

http://www.smartmodels.co.uk/

And someone asked about warping. Card kits have been used in the UK for years and years, and I've not read that it is big issue. They seem to hold up well, considering many are on small layouts that get taken to several of their types of train shows several times a year.

Jim

NEMMRRC

postalkarl

Hey Jaime:

It's just hard to believe that is a paper kit. Another great job.

Karl