T. Schwarz 2019 Winter Build - FOS Scale Models Deckers Tar Soap

Started by Jim Donovan, January 06, 2019, 10:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

I am slow off the block on starting my kit on this build challenge, which is also my first follow along thread, so we will see how it goes. I met Tom at the Albany EXPO and loved his train stories and remember how he had laid out his plan to circle the country by train one day. His passing just after the show hit home. I am glad I met him and happy to include a building in his name on my layout.

I bought Deckers Tar Soap made by FOS Scale Models a year ago to be one of the major industries in the village of Mandryville on the Holland Odessa R.R.. The layout time is 1910 so the building will be in fairly good shape. I selected it as space is at a premium which is more of a large diorama at 6'x4' with an operating train. The structure is interesting with its angles and roof changes, lending it to be a small metal stamping operation having two story piston style stamping machines.

The attached pictures show the kit as it arrived. The directions are very complete as can be seen. There are several castings included and the windows / doors look very good. I will be adding to the castings as well. I am also thinking of changing some or all of the walls to brick.

I found an early thread on this structure done by Karl which I have studied. It's link is as follows:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18371&SearchTerms=Soap

So next posting we will get started.

Thanks

Jim D

Holland & Odessa Railroad

Dave K.

Great to have you aboard, Jim, all tan and relaxed after your tropical sojourn. Following along!

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

madharry

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Opa George

I'll be following, Jim. I'm always fascinated by and learn much from the modifications made to kits.
--George

jimmillho

Dave K.

The design of this kit...the varied roof lines, etc., always attracted me to it. As I recall it came out about the time I started in craftsman structure kits.👍🏻

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Dave K. on January 07, 2019, 06:35:39 AM
Great to have you aboard, Jim, all tan and relaxed after your tropical sojourn. Following along!

Hi Dave

I am indeed relaxed but glad to be home, 14 days on a boat is 7 too long for me. I hope I've gained ada boy points with the Boss. I have been following your 2019 Challenge build as I plod along getting things together for my attempt. I like the idea of sporadic nail holes in-line you did and will be trying that on Deckers Tar Soap.

This kit had a limited run sometime in the 2000's. FOS then began making the kit again last year. When I saw it I knew it would work well on my small layout. It is about 13 inches long and 4 wide at widest, making it a very good fit for the area planned. With all the angles it yells 'factory'. Hopefully I can do it justice.

Jim

Jim Donovan

Jim Donovan

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 07, 2019, 07:20:50 AM
Jim,

I also will be following along.

Tom ;D

Tom;

Thanks for checking in. By the time I get some wood stained your going to have your layout finished. I like the gas station, reminds me of the one (we only had one) in the village I grew up in, Scottsville NY.

Jim

Jim Donovan

Quote from: madharry on January 07, 2019, 09:38:24 AM
I have made this one. It is a very nice kit.
Mike :)

Mike thanks for stopping by. In my research I did not find your first build but I believe I found a second that was a scratch build of part of  kit. It really looks great.

Jim