FSM Barnstead Lumber Build

Started by rpdylan, October 21, 2019, 02:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PainTrain

I'm really liking the derelict building you posted earlier.

postalkarl

rpdylan

thank you to everyone that is following along!  I decided to tackle the chain link fence,,,, the steel rods provided are pretty hard, used my heavy duty dykes to cut the pieces.  I am not that good of a solderer so I used JB Weld (quick setting) at the joints.  the stuff needs to fully cure (6 hours). my plan is to file the joints to clean them up then I will attach the fencing material.  I will see if the JB Weld has worked.....
Bob C.

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

good idea I can't solder either.

Karl

rpdylan

well,
    The JB Weld was a failure,,,, the stuff just didn't stick to the steel rod and it all came apart.... so, I guess I'm going to have to solder the joints.  more to follow .....
Bob C.

ACL1504

Bob,

I've never used JB Weld but soldering isn't that hard. The wire included in many kits will work fine but I prefer to use the same size in brass. Brass is much easier to solder than the steel wire. Once you try it I think you'll be hooked on soldering.

Tom ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

rpdylan

so I soldered the joints, using liquid flux and very little solder.  my first time doing this type of work and I will have to try the brass rod in the future to compare the ease of soldering the material. attaching the fabric with ACC glue is a bit trying.... here is a section sprayed with gray primer. 
Bob C.

rpdylan

the warehouse is not glued down yet, but this is where it goes.... I had to get it in place to determine where the track lay and for the "concrete" bases of the chain link fencing.....
Bob C.

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

jerryrbeach

Jerry

Opa George

Wow, yes, very nice, Bob.  It looks great in position.  Also good work on the chain-link fence. I haven't tried that type of fine soldering yet but yours turned out just fine.
--George

postalkarl

Hey Bob C:

Beautiful job on the fence. Also the building & lumber shed are just beautiful.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

rpdylan

thanks guys!   
    This kit is deceiving in the amount of work involved! lots of bang for your buck with this one! I've been nibbling away at castings painting and getting the fencing complete....
Bob C.

rpdylan

little by little more details are added to the side "junk"yard...
    The prototype has a solid chain link fence to the left of the front door, in between the warehouse and the cutting shed. I thought that I would like to have a yard entrance here, so my plan is to add a sliding chain link gate here....
Bob C.