Layout Tours Schedule?

Started by S&S RR, August 20, 2018, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Can someone tell me when the layout tours are going to be this year?  We can't make plane / travel reservations without that schedule.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

BrianM

John,

Here's the most up to date information that I could find:

https://nngc-2018.com/schedule/[/size][/size]Not sure yet if I will rent a car but if I do then my layout visits will be focussing on the HOn3 layouts and in which case I will bring my DSLR to (hopefully) get better photos.
BrianM - sometimes home in San Antonio, TX

vinceg

Was John asking about NNGC or the Expo in Albany? Thought it was the latter.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

S&S RR

Sorry for the confusion - I'm referring to the EXPO layout tours.  If I don't get plane reservation pretty soon the cost of tickets will exceed my budget for the EXPO. There are some nice layouts that I would like to see on the list but if they are all the same day or require an extended stay I need to make plans accordingly.

Brian I'm renting a car for the Narrow Gauge Convention.  If you want to ride along your welcome to join me. Jaime and I will be doing some touring. And there will be some pictures taken.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

RailroadKits

I'll check with Seckler. He's in charge.

Jimmy

Willwood42

F&SM is listed on the website as one of the railroads open for visiting. Does anyone know when that tour is scheduled.  It is a three hour drive, sure would hate to miss it. The SR&M is about halfway.

jbvb

Albany to Peabody is not a 3 hour drive when rush hour afflicts the eastern 100 miles.  MA 128 (I-95) is frequently congested from 6-9 AM and 2PM  to 7 PM.  Shopping hours (11 AM - 6 PM) can create jams  on weekends too.
James

Shakey Jake

So a 3 hr drive to see George Sellios' layout?  Is this open on Wednesday and/ or Sunday.  Looks like I will need a rental car if I end up going.  Can anyone confirm this?

rpdylan

3 hour drive from Albany to Peabody MA is technically possible, but when you add the traffic that 3 hour drive could end up being 4+..... If George opened on Sunday, then I guess the layout could be visited ,,,,,then a person could fly out of Logan that evening.....or if the layout was opened on Wed, then fly into Logan, rent a car- short drive to Peabody, then on to Albany..... just be aware that mid-week traffic out of Boston slows things down....
Bob C.

Dave K.

On Friday's Benchtime podcast it was mentioned that George would be open on Wednesday, Bob Van Gelder and Dick Elwell's would be open Sunday. They didn't mention Saturday, yet. I LOVE the F&SM but six hours round trip? Hmmmmmmm...

BandOGuy

Ah, but the Mass Turnpike is so lovely at this time of the year, what with the leaves and all. And the crazy Masshole drivers and their cousins from the Empire State thrown in for additional color make this a challenge for all but the faint of heart.
Suggestion to the hierarchy: charter a bus for the Peabody run. The other two sites are in more bucolic country not so much subject to the vagaries of Masshole motorists.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Dave K.

A bus is a good idea, but still too much road time for my taste. And that's a long time away from the vendors who've taken the trouble to travel and set up for us. Incidentally, the Mass. people I've met here on the Forum have been first-rate folks.

rpdylan

The Pike is not that bad if the traffic is moving,,, but I think the best plan would be to land in Boston on Wednesday, rent a car to go to Peabody, then drive to Albany and check in hotel Wednesday night. Maybe a group to cut costs? The drive back to Logan on Sunday wouldn't be too bad, unless you could fly out of Albany on Sunday,,,,, I know it's more cost to drop off a rental car in a different place,,,, wouldn't need the car once you got to Albany,,,,,
Bob C.

Dave K.

Good idea, Bob. Alas, I've already booked flights and arranged to leave school noonish Wednesday. Enjoy, all who can squeeze in a trip to George's. 👍🏻

jrmueller

Disappointed that George is so far from  Albany. A six hour round trip even on a bus would really cut into my EXPO time. Arriving Weds pm on the train from VA and leave Sunday am. Oh well. Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad