What Tools To Bring To Expo?

Started by Jim Donovan, October 28, 2018, 06:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

I am hoping those of you coming that have done this before can suggest a list of tools to bring for the hands on clinics. I have listed below the items the people running the clinics I am going to ask we bring. Was wondering what you experienced members bring as well. I have listed below the items my clinics call for:

For Clinic 101 - Tips and Techniques

Bring basic tools; x-acto, razor blades, tweezers, white glue, assorted brushes, alcohol and ink wash, mineral spirits.
Paints: water based - brick colors, browns, tans, greys, concrete color.
Also Burnt Umber artists oils.

Electric Clinic:
·         Soldering iron – a regular pencil type soldering iron should work fine.
·         Solder – regular rosin-core  electronic solder – NOT plumber's solder!
·         Hobby knife with #11 blade
·         Cutting mat - or something to protect the work surface
·         Small straight edge
·         Tweezers
·         Wire cutters / strippers
·         Needle nose pliers - Round nose pliers too if you have them
·         9-volt battery (get a new one)
·         Magnivisor or some means of magnification

Thanks

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Dave K.

Small bottle of glue (I picked up a small bottle of Aileene's Fast Grab)...brushes...brush cleaner...Tootsie Rolls to throw at Slim...

Dave K.

...one of those reusable canvas grocery bags to carry your bootie...you'll get one with your show materials but a second may prove necessary...Tootsie Rolls to throw at Slim...CASH (not to throw at Slim)...

Dave K.

Slim Jerkins

If you're driving to the Expo and have the luxury to bring along whatever you so desire, bring a desk lamp and a powerstrip &/or extension cord. You never know what kind of lighting you may have. It's usually good enough for taking notes but it might be insufficient for real detaily stuff.

Mineral spirits are OK but I prefer a decent bourbon.

-slim

deemery

Don't forget good quality flux for your solder.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Slim Jerkins

Quote from: deemery on October 29, 2018, 11:37:01 AM
Don't forget good quality flux for your solder.

dave

For what we're doing in the lighting clinic flux isn't a necessity. But if you want to bring some that's fine. If the solder you bring is rosin-core then the flux is already built in.

Whatever you do DON'T get your solder and/or flux from the plumbing section of your hardware or big-box store. That stuff has an acid in it that will eat away at the delicate electronic bits.

-slim

deemery

You could probably get some good solder and flux, and maybe a soldering iron, from the FastTracks booth.

dave

Rail and Tie

If going to Slim's Clinic, best bring a Fire Extinguisher!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Slim Jerkins

Quote from: deemery on October 29, 2018, 12:33:36 PM
You could probably get some good solder and flux, and maybe a soldering iron, from the FastTracks booth.

dave

Or the  Microlumina tables.

-slim

Jim Donovan

Thanks folks, I have the list covered. In addition to what the presenters list what to bring I need:

Bourbon for paint cleaning (odd but I have used vodka in a airbrush paint thinner formula before). If I can't use it all give the rest to Slim.

Tootsie Rolls to bribe the teacher. Odd to throw them at him while he is instructing but perhaps it helps motivate him.

A Flux Capacitor for the soldering iron. It can also be used as a light. I understand if I don't learn anything about LED lighting I can still be a plumber.

In between the ribbing I did take note of all the good advice, thanks to all.

Jim (dead eye with a tootsie roll) Donovan

Holland & Odessa Railroad

deemery

I presume the hotel will provide the fire extinguishers....

dave

GPdemayo

Quote from: deemery on October 30, 2018, 08:31:25 AM
I presume the hotel will provide the fire extinguishers....

dave

Fire extinguishers are for amateurs.....with Slim around, y'all will need the fire department present and at the ready with their fire hoses.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Y'all need to thank the fire gods that Tom won't be there too.....if he and Slim were there together, you'd need a to bring in the forest fire guys from out West that know how to handle a real disaster.  ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Slim won't be needing any fire prevention aids, I'm not going so he is good to go. 8)

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com