PUGWUMPS Brothers rail services On30 excursion car

Started by hairball, December 06, 2019, 02:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

As usual I had a thought slip into my thought process and came with this .

Starting with a Bachmann On30 flat car 28 footer I took some north eastern scribed siding and created a floor.  Attacked it with alcohol and ink wash to weather it and added screw heads impressions.  I played around creating the posts and roof structure making them all the same.

I took the wooden bench seats and tried setting them length wise and then across to get an idea of which one I liked.  To do the wood roof I found a glass or bottle or can ?????, then used a very wet alcohol india ink wash soaking and wrapped it around one of them to get me the right shape.  Left that for a full day.  Next day removed it and used elastic bands to hold it onto the glued roof frame work.

I had some green and white striped cloth from another build left over and decided to use that.  Not sure what I used as a glue to hold it onto the roof.  Might be 3M upholstery glue in a spray bomb keeping the can back away to dust the glue on.  Soaking it with glue would most likely discolour the cloth.

I am pretty sure I found a carb board tube from paper towel and placed that over the cloth and again used some larger/longer  elastic bands . After that sat for a day and placed the seats onto deck using zap a gap.

Lastly placed George Costanza and his girl friend onto the seats.  I wanted the car to look brand new so no weathering was done other than darken and age the wood.

This was simple and an easy build. Could turn out 3-6 of these for not a lot of $$$ except for purchase of the on30 flat car and the seats.   Those Pugwump brothers rail services are into all kinds of ventures. If there is a buck to be made , figure them right in there.

mike lynch     HAIRBALL