FSM JS # 11 Butcher's Way

Started by UP Fan, March 23, 2015, 11:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: UP Fan on March 30, 2015, 02:48:25 PM
Quote from: ReadingBob on March 30, 2015, 12:43:45 PM
Hi UP Fan,

Great start.  As Tom mentioned I built this one for one for him.  I really enjoyed putting it together.  I laid it out the way George recommends in the templates.  I like that it has so many different types of materials for the walls and roofing.  It adds a lot of interest to the finished model.  I'll be following along and enjoying your build.   :D

Thank you Bob (great name BTW  :) )  The FSM kits are definitely a lot of fun and the details are amazing.  Did you do a build thread when you built this kit for Tom?  I have a lot of builds 'bookmarked' to follow as tutorials.  Learn from the best, I always say.

Bob - I did do a build thread on the old Model Railroad Forums site but I can't find it.  I guess it got purged.   :(   
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

UP Fan

I have a small (and I mean small) problem. I'm at the stage where I mounting windows and warehouse doors. As you can see from the pic below, the shutters are extremely small for the opening. And George's instructions say to mount them in the open position. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about mounting the shutters? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

ReadingBob

Quote from: UP Fan on March 31, 2015, 03:43:21 PM
I have a small (and I mean small) problem. I'm at the stage where I mounting windows and warehouse doors. As you can see from the pic below, the shutters are extremely small for the opening. And George's instructions say to mount them in the open position. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about mounting the shutters? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I dug thru the photo's I took during my build and only found one that included that portion of the rear wall.  I wonder if you have the right part for that opening.  The one you show looks like it may be a roof hatch that goes on the butcher shop.  The one I used seems to have fit the opening much better.

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

UP Fan

Bob, that's what I would have expected the shutter to look like.  Anyway, I scratched built a couple from some 1/32" scrap and added some black craft paper for 'hinges'.  Once they are weathered, they'll do nicely.

UP Fan

Got to work on Butchers Way a little more.  Show Car season is starting soon and it's time to share my tasks between modeling and getting my car ready.  Anyway here's some progress pics.  I'm showing my 'nail hole tool' in the first pic.  The second pic has an arrow pointing to the excess paint on the inside of a window hole that has to be scraped away to make window fit properly.  Picture three shows the casting after priming and weathering with dark A/I solution.  The last pic shows the frames I built around the heavier warehouse-type doors rather than using epoxy.  I use Aleene's Fast Grab glue avail at Hobby Lobby.  I ran a bead of glue around the framing , then installed the doors. 

UP Fan

A couple more pics of progress on Butchers Way.  I really enjoying this FSM kit. 

UP Fan

I finally reached the assembly phase of the build.  Yippee!  My question is should I paint the interior walls with a flat black or brown?  I've seen other builds where the builders paint the interior walls.  Is this for lighting purposes?  Thanks for your help.

ReadingBob

Quote from: UP Fan on April 03, 2015, 01:27:30 PM
I finally reached the assembly phase of the build.  Yippee!  My question is should I paint the interior walls with a flat black or brown?  I've seen other builds where the builders paint the interior walls.  Is this for lighting purposes?  Thanks for your help.

Bob,

I've gotten in the habit of painting the interior walls flat black to prevent the building from 'glowing' if I decide to install lighting in it.  Tom (ACL1504) taught me that trick.   :D  The only exception I'd make to that rule on this build is the interior walls that are visible from the front (where the carcasses are hanging inside the open doors).  I don't recall how I handled that for the interior of there.   
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

UP Fan

Thanks for the tip, Bob.  Appreciate it.  Know what you mean about the 'glow'.  I have a couple of plastic structures that have that overall pumpkin glow to them.

ACL1504

Bob B.,

The interior walls where the meat hangs is simulated board by board. The walls are just visible from the front. I have pictures of Reading Bob's build and I'll post them here as soon as I get them loaded, cropped and uploaded to the forum.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here are a few of Reading Bob's build on Wolcott's Meats. I redid the sign for Butts Meat Co.. A little pun here.

More in a few.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

UP Fan

Holy Cow (sorry for the pun) Tom, thank you for the pictures.  Great build.  These pics will make for a great reference.  I like the board-by-board interior of the front building.  Nice detail addition.  Tom, did you do a build thread for this build?

UP Fan

It's really satisfying to see this build coming together.  Thanks to everyone here on the forum for your expert advice and comments.   I painted the interior walls a dark brown to accommodate any future lighting.  I very happy with the progress so far.  That George sure knows how to put a kit together.

martin.ojaste

Bob, I will be watching you...what you have done pretty cool and can't wait until the next set of photos.

Marty