C&O H-5 2-6-6-2 Articulated Painting

Started by ACL1504, April 21, 2020, 05:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Quote from: Judge on May 20, 2020, 03:33:07 PM
....." an apparatus which permitted the admission of high-pressure steam to the front cylinders when starting and operating at speeds up to 12 mph."

Hey Bill.....maybe if Tom added some apparatus to the rear cylinders it could get up to 16 mph..... ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on May 20, 2020, 12:03:24 PM
Tom,
Nice modeling sir !!!
Tommy

Tommy,

Thank you, much appreciate you stopping by for a look. This one has been a challenge and a lot of fun, sort of.  ???

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The C&O H-5 is coming along nicely.  I am sure it will haul 20+coal hoppers up the 1 percent grade of the Ovalix.  A fine job by the A&S master mechanic!  WOW Sound has a low single chime Southern RR whistle that will top off the sight and sound of this beautiful engine.  These engines were not retired until 1952.  That fits the A&S time frame of 1950-1951. 

Judge Bill,

Thank you for the support. With the added weight is should pull the 20+ up the Ovalix from Sandlando to Summit.

Tom ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 20, 2020, 04:44:59 PM
....." an apparatus which permitted the admission of high-pressure steam to the front cylinders when starting and operating at speeds up to 12 mph."

Hey Bill.....maybe if Tom added some apparatus to the rear cylinders it could get up to 16 mph..... ;D

Greg,

I've already tested this hog and top speed is just about 25, which is slow. Due to the small drivers, it sounds like it's going Greg Speed. Any faster and the chuffing becomes just one long sputter.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here's a little trick I use for the sound wiring. On this model I have three lights, head - cab and rear. The blue wire on the harness is the common/positive wire.

The three resistors are wired, one to each of the blue wires.

I cut a piece off the blue wire, divided it by three equal lengths, soldered them to the original wire and added heat shrink to protect the solder and to prevent a possible short.

NOTE: Yesterday I showed the resistors being soldered to the three colored wires. This is wrong! The  three resistors are soldered to the blue wires

I'll show some photos of the finished model tomorrow.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here are the final photos of the C&O H-5. I still need to add the final layer of coal and I noticed two small paint dings that I'll need to touch up.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The C&O caboose is brass, painted and decaled by me  a few years ago.

I do plan on adding lighted marker lights to the caboose.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This RTR C&O caboose is one the Judge ordered a few years ago. This wood side caboose is/was made by Atlas.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

sdrees

The paint job turned out just fantastic Tom.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Zephyrus52246

BandOGuy

Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

cuse

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond