Magigras

Started by madharry, May 14, 2017, 07:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

While I was a at the Lille, France exhibition I came across a new product for replicating grass.

Electostatic grass systems have been around for years and produce a good effect. This product goes further in allowing the user to build up layer upon layer to a dramatic effect.

It comprises of a black/grey powder which you mix with a resin. You then paint this on the surface to be covered and allow it to dry. Once it has dried you apply the flock fibres in the normal way using any electrostatic device ( such as the Noch Grasmaster).

However after the first layer is down you then spray with Magispray and apply the fibres again. If the fibres are the same length they will position themselves at the end of the other fibres. If they are smaller they will form branches. I am not sure but I think there must be something metallic in the powder which creates a far stronger electostatic field.

Here are the main elements from left to right - the Magispray, the black/grey powder and the resin mixture. The second picture shows a selection of fibres I bought - 6mm. 4.5mm, 2mm and 0.5mm. I have green ones in stock already. I am looking forward to using this system on my Midsomer layout once I start the scenery in earnest.

I have no connection with the manufacturer - microrama.eu

Mike

GPdemayo

Looks very interesting Mike.....looking forward to more pictures.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

madharry

Thanks Greg.

I have mixed a small amount of the powder and resin together and "painted" it onto some foam that I have covered in cling-film.

Once it has dried, the instructions say 12 hours, I will experiment with it. The cling-film should allow me to cut small pieces to make gardens for the houses in Midsomer.

Mike

Rail and Tie

By looking at the tutorial video on their website, this stuff looks fantastic for making thick branch like foliage.  I agree, there must be a metallic powder in the mix somewhere.

Mike, is the Magispray just a spray glue?

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this stuff.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

madharry

Here is a sample I have been experimenting with. I wrapped some cling-film around some foam and applied the mixture which goes on greeny-blue and then dries black. Earlier I tried this on a smaller piece which I flocked and then removed it from the foam. I intend cutting pieces and applying them to the new layout.

Mike

madharry

Continuing................I am still experimenting with this stuff!

You can create a few grass mats for placement on your module. The standard serving will give you four times the area shown in the pictures.

Mike

Zephyrus52246

Mike, to me it doesn't look like the grass is "standing up", just lying there.  Is it the picture or just me?

Jeff

Slim Jerkins

I thought he said margaritas.

oh well...

-slim

madharry

It could be operator error Jeff...........I am still experimenting. 

I do like the way it forms bushes and clumps of grass though.

Here are a few more.............

Mike

Janbouli

Quote from: Slim Jerkins on May 18, 2017, 09:43:42 AM
I thought he said margaritas.

oh well...

-slim

And I thought Mardi-gras
I love photo's, don't we all.

donatode

And here I was thinking that I was the only dyslexic one here....!!!

madharry

Here are a few hopefully better pictures. To the naked eye I think this product does a very good job. I think my photography skills are probably lacking.

Mike :-[